oak prices

tree monkey

I know this has been covered many times but.

I have been asked to sell someone a piece of oak its about 10ft long and 18inch diameter.

They guy said its worth £2 a cubic foot if this is so id make more selling it as logs.

Any advice or prices would be much appreciated.

Thanks TM

That is a difficult question mate! Is the oak roadside, have you got to extract it or will it be delivered? If you have to spend time getting it out of a garden etc then i wouldnt say it has a financial value- its a pretty small stick. If it is ready to just pick up then around £3 ish per foot is okay, and its delivered then around £5-£6 is about right. Timber in the round is pretty worthless TBH especially that size, but you still have to process and deliver the logs before you get that money. Dont forget to use the Hoppus Foot formula for calculating the volume of the log...

How do

Oak sold in the round for milling can be anything upto £5 cubic ft, usually measrued in Hoppus ft which accounts for wastage. The price you have been given for the size sounds about right to me..

The price depends on quality and where it is - ie roadside or delivered.

Milled oak can then be upwards of £ 17 cube depending on how green it is.. and quality.. Here its £17 for beam oak upto a certain length then upwards again.

The milling is 'adding value', so is logging it, but people think its worth more as logs but you are talking about the end poduct like milling.. will you get £20 a cube for logs ? Is £2 cube to sell it without doing anything to it worth it ? thats upto you !? If you work out £2 cube into tons it gives you a better idea of 'worth'. ..

I used to do firewood but got far more money from 'squaring up' timber with the mill...it adds far more value for similar investment- thats proper firewood equipmnet vs mill, not an axe and saw...

Just my take on it :biggrin: stan

If you work out £2 cube into tons it gives you a better idea of 'worth'. ..

I am sorry, but i fail tp see how you can ever judge value of timber by its weight, especially after it has been cut. Fair enough heli-logger style when the timber is as green as, but for a stick on the ground to compare to firewood seems nonsensical to me:confused1::001_smile:

What i was meaning was the comment about its worth more as firewood..

And how do you work out the value of firewood ? If you bought some in the length then it could be £15-30 ton depending on what and where.

If theres 35 cube ish in a ton then at £2 cube that stick is worth £70 ton for milling. To buy Oak saw logs this is what you would pay at least.

I was just using the weight comparison as thats what firewood is measured in the stick but mill wood is measured in volume.

Say for arguments sake you get 12" x 12" x 10' of usable wood out, be it 2 " planks or a few beams this would be 10 cube at £ 17 for green oak its £170, if you can move it, mill it and sell it then thats what you could get, but it depends on how long the process takes you. If its a few hours its a winner..:thumbup1:You need a buyer or a place to store it. Storing it in 'stick' will add value. Its like a savings account with interest.. Selling green is the quickest return but lower value. It does depend on how it looks when its milled..

Its a gamble, unlike firewood, it dont matter what it looks like :001_tongue: