Starting a career in Arb...

Saw-sick Steve

Never been a climber, but my daughter has recently expressed a keen interest in becoming an Arb and as such has been looking at the 'Proclimber' Fast track 3 week course. Two questions;

1] It seems a lot of money - anyone done it and how does it rate value for money wise?

2] What would you recommend as an alternative -and cheaper - route?

I'm a bit out of the loop nowadays regarding qualifications and their relative merit, but what would you need today as a minimum, and what's more highly rated by the industry today - Lantra, C&G, or Fastco (if that's still a thing)? I know she's got a good head for heights, but would obviously be good for her to have a go before laying out any hard cash. Based in S Wales BTW. Suggestions?

Cheers in advance.

Edited by Saw-sick Steve
added location

In terms of tickets to be useful to 90% of tree firms as a second climber she'll need her Chainsaw Maintenence and Cross cutting (CS30), Small tree felling (CS31), tree climbing and aerial rescue (CS38), chainsaw in the tree (CS39) and woodchipper. The rest of the tickets are obviously a bonus but you can fall down a rabbit hole of going ticket hunting instead of getting on the job and actually learning (and making money).

The above tickets will probably cost around the £2000, depending where you go for it. There are a few companies that can take advantage of government schemes and apprenticeships to get some of those part funded and bring the cost right down. @LynherTraining is a provider based on the Devon/Cornwall border that I can vouch for.

Edited by Mark Wileman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Takes more than tickets.

Ideally id always hire a person with 2 years experience and a small tree felling and chipper ticket before someone straight out of college with all the tickets up to cs39 and no experience.

If it was me id say get small tree felling and chipper tickets then get a job in the real world.

I really dont see the point in spending 2 grand on courses when in the reality working with a firm could open her eyes and she may not like it.

No one goes from college to a lead climber job so she will have to cross cut,drag and chip to prove herself before anyone gives her a chance to climb.

If she sticks in,works away and turns up everyday on time she will get her chance at climbing