husky 535 strimmer starter problem

campanula

Last autumn, my brushcutter died (again)...after  £450 repair after the last time (when idiot offspring didn't get the oil/petrol mix exactly right...or at least that what I was told). Threw it in shed in despair. However, the horrendous brambles, nettles and other stuff is causing more despairing than dealing with the strimmer so...

Took the string pull cap off...but the bloody spring has...sprung and I cannot get it back into its housing.

FWIW, I am clueless but, you know, was hoping the inability to start the thing was due to a jammed string or summat. Too fearful to take it back to Ernest Does (they had it for 3 months! and charged the whopping bill)...but otoh, have sunk over a grand into this and certainly cannot afford to buy a new one again. Any ideas.

The recoil starter spring?

I don't know this model, but recoil springs are either in a little flat circular 'cassette' which you wind the spring into, or situated into the casing itself. 

If it's in the casing, don't try to coil the spring up in your hands and then fit it into the casing - you'll struggle. Instead, put the little tab to the outer end of the spring into the casing and then rotate the casing to wind the spring in so your working in to the centre of the casing. That probably doesn't make much sense, but it should only take 30 seconds to do.

Alternatively - look on youtube :(

Yes, that's it. Took the cassette apart and the spring flew open...and have spent several hours trying to rewind...knowing there is some obvious method...but being too dense to actually figure it out...including using a drill to rewind the spring, snapping the small loop off the end. Can I rebend some of the spring and make up the difference at the other end (which has a longer loop)...or can you get replacement springs or even a complete unit?

Can't quite believe I have been so dementedly dense.

You can sometimes reform the end, if the metal isn’t too brittle. I’ve done it on site sometimes and never had further issues.

Dont worry about the loss of the total spring length, it doesn’t seem to matter.

start at the outside, fit the end of the spring into the receptacle for it and then rotate the holder to coil the spring into it. Use your thumbs to keep everything flat so the spring doesn’t lift out. When the spring is coiled, it should sit in the circular holder which then goes back in place. 

Then, you need to tension the spring by unwrapping one loop of cord, put it in the cut out of the cord holder and turn- you’ll feel the spring connect and begin to tension.

Dont over tension it, three or four complete turns should do. Let the  cord pull in, pull it out against the tension and keep it out. Put the cord (still out) into the notch and there be another revolution on it before it comes to a stop. 

Its easier to to find a video than explain, but it really isn’t hard.

You can sometimes reform the end, if the metal isn’t too brittle. I’ve done it on site sometimes and never had further issues.

Dont worry about the loss of the total spring length, it doesn’t seem to matter.

start at the outside, fit the end of the spring into the receptacle for it and then rotate the holder to coil the spring into it. Use your thumbs to keep everything flat so the spring doesn’t lift out. When the spring is coiled, it should sit in the circular holder which then goes back in place. 

Then, you need to tension the spring by unwrapping one loop of cord, put it in the cut out of the cord holder and turn- you’ll feel the spring connect and begin to tension.

Dont over tension it, three or four complete turns should do. Let the  cord pull in, pull it out against the tension and keep it out. Put the cord (still out) into the notch and there be another revolution on it before it comes to a stop. 

Its easier to to find a video than explain, but it really isn’t hard.

You’ve got a lot more patience than me! I’d spend the £20 (or whatever it is) on a new one and be done in 1 minute!

Just so you have an idea about price they are just over £10 for a new recoil spring. Part number is 503 85 99-01 (part number 5 in attached pdf) if you want to order it from your local dealer.

I have attached a pdf just in case you need any other parts.

You can sometimes rework the spring to make an end but you need to get it fairly correct if you want it to locate into spindle properly without slipping.

Just so your aware the price of a complete starter casing with all the bits is the best part of £60 (part number 11)so its worth finding out what the issue is with your one.

BRUSHCUTTERS_CLEARING-SAWS_535-RXT_535-RXT_STARTER.pdf

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mark_Skyland said:

You can sometimes rework the spring to make an end but you need to get it fairly correct if you want it to locate into spindle properly without slipping.

Normally what I'd do on site if you need to keep something running and order one to swop when time permits, or remember to.

Edited by Gary Prentice
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Richard 1234 said:

You’ve got a lot more patience than me! I’d spend the £20 (or whatever it is) on a new one and be done in 1 minute!

It takes as long as it takes to disassemble the starter mechanism. Probably quicker to do than to explain to someone how to do it.

Thank you so much. Am going to faff about with the broken spring and have ordered a spare (which I will no doubt end up using). I was going to order a complete new starting unit (having already spent a ton.).. will at least attempt to get this right  as costs will be coming out of my bulb and hedging budget

It takes as long as it takes to disassemble the starter mechanism. Probably quicker to do than to explain to someone how to do it.

I’ve done it myself in the past. Painful is the word! I bought a spare cassette last time and it’s still sat in a drawer now since it’s never gone wrong again!