Stilt 009

Simon16

Hi extremely new to this.

I have a stilt 009 chainsaw. ONLY use it for my chimenea. It works well but when it's been use for a while say 15 mins it won't start it struggles.once it's cooled down it is ok.

Please any advice on the problem or should I buy a new one.

Thanks for you accepting me to your forum 

Simon

24 minutes ago, Simon16 said:

Hi extremely new to this.

I have a stilt 009 chainsaw. ONLY use it for my chimenea. It works well but when it's been use for a while say 15 mins it won't start it struggles.once it's cooled down it is ok.

Please any advice on the problem or should I buy a new one.

Thanks for you accepting me to your forum 

Simon

Low comp symptom . Check the the pot by taking  the muffler off and look for any scoring . Or do a compression check if you have the equipment .  Once it gets up to temp the  clearances between piston and bore open up to point point where the compression is not enough to support combustion . .... Possibly O.o The other thing it could be ( and less expensive ) is the tank breather is blocked and it pulls a vacuum stopping the fuel from entering the carb .  try running it on its side with the fuel cap cracked open a touch and if it continues to run past your 15 mins it may be that . Good luck ! 

Edited by Stubby

17 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Low comp symptom . Check the the pot by taking  the muffler off and look for any scoring . Or do a compression check if you have the equipment .  Once it gets up to temp the  clearances between piston and bore open up to point point where the compression is not enough to support combustion . .... Possibly O.o The other thing it could be ( and less expensive ) is the tank breather is blocked and it pulls a vacuum stopping the fuel from entering the carb .  try running it on its side with the fuel cap cracked open a touch and if it continues to run past your 15 mins it may be that . Good luck ! 

Thanks for that. Will try. Is it worth  buying a cheap aldi/toolstation one.?

1 minute ago, Simon16 said:

Sorry who is spud. As I am very new to this. Your advice is helpful and welcome

Sorry . Spud or spudulike to give his user name is Steve Gum . he services saws , ports and tunes them  also if you request it . He has worked on most of my saws in the past . All ported and running harder and more efficiently .  Total reliability and more efficiency ( if a little louder ) . Send him a PM and see what he suggests .

He has 2 threads running . One is entitled " whats on your bench today ? " and the other is " Spuds tuning and porting thread "  He is very reasonable in price ( much more so than a main dealer  ) and you get a proper job done . ( I am no relation  ! ) :D

• Like 1

Hi, I use a 012 of about the same age as my firewood saw, it's very similar, I bought it second hand about 25 years ago, and apart from a go at the fuel system  and repair of wear and tear items it been reliable....and it's been thoroughly tested !

These wee saws  45 and 36 cc have an intake reed valve which helps them punch above their weight and although old fashioned they're fairly solid .

Stihl  can still supply most of the parts, and a dealer can get the saw upon the screen,  the service parts aren't too expensive ....I don't know the condition of your saw or whether you're handy with stuff... but I've found that over the years these wee saws quickly passed into history and have often few hours on them and can be an easy fix...of course the opposite could be true, but a carb kit and new pipes may work wonders.

Don't know if you've already got this info, the spec, all the part numbers and the workshop manual which seems to cover the lot....which isn't always the case.

cheers.

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/ed1d619968136da688256af40002b8f7/729d1985b8c9fa8f88256ba20049cef7

http://thebakeliteradio.com/sawspares.com/009010011WorkshopManual.pdf

https://www.diyspareparts.com/parts/stihl/diagrams/009/

Pretty old saw. There comes a time when is not worth the effort to keep 'em running unless you have a desire to do that sort of thing.

My 009 has been on loan and been a compete pain in the back side, wouldn't start from cold and then when finally going you darn't stop it. If it ever ran out of fuel... that was the end of the day as far as that saw was concerned.

But then we discovered as old as the saw was, it had one of the modern day disaster features - a carburetor with accelerator circuit (to chuck in more fueling during engine acceleration). It's a disaster feature because it wears out, rendering the carburetor next to useless. With that fixed, it was possible to tune the thing and it became reliable to start hot or cold.

I guess it all depends on the condition of the saw - even an old one with low miles is worth fixing up but only you know whether that's what you've got or if it's a beaten up wreck. And probably best to learn how they work coz most repair bills wont make it an economic proposition.