CCTV for wildlife

Gary Prentice

My wife has asked me to sort out some cameras so she can watch the wildlife in the garden and around her little pond. Looking at some of the cctv type setups I'm out of my depth, so can anyone recommend any set ups. I was hoping that a trial camera would do, but she would like to watch the foxes, feral cats and stoat! live.

Ideally the system requirements I'd like are:

• 1-2 totally wireless cameras (battery powered/solar powered?) to overlook the pond which is at distance from the house. Maybe these cameras to have a motion detector to operate to save battery life?
  • 1-2 additional wired/powered cameras that can be fitted on the house to overlook the garden
  • Viewing/recording on a pc/laptop
  • Good resolution for night time viewing, there are some solar powered lights around the pond itself and most of the garden has PIR security lights

There seems to be so many options in cctv setups that I'm struggling where to even start.

I bought a Bushnell Trophy Cam about three years ago for about £200 and it has lasted well and the bwtteries seem to last for ever, at least six months with quite a lot of traffic.

I put this one down by the lake to catch the otters.  I put it on a tree on a narrow piece of ground between the lake and the stream so that wildlife has no option but to go by.

The night shots are always black and white and the range is effectively about twenty yards as far as triggering the camera goes.  You than then either set it up with a ten second video which resets again after another short period, or a series of three still shots.

Day light is in colour and has the range of a normal camera.

You can either watch the video on the camera or take it home and watch on you computer which I recommend.

You need to site the camera facing away from sunlight and away from branches and plants that move with the wind which can set the camera off.

I bought the Bushnell as it has a screen to disguise the infrared light which some animals might see and be alarmed by.

I see there are hundreds of these cameras if you search on Amazon and many around the £60 mark.  I bought one of these cheaper ones

https://www.amazon.com/Cyberdax-Infrared-Waterproof-Wildlife-Scouting/dp/B01DXEM0CU which I can only find on the American site but it has been fine so I am sure a cheaper one would be the way to start and if you find you are keen and the results are good, then you can upgrade.