Rotatech bio oil

sandspider

Hi all

Got a bottle of the above today, but looking at it, it looks very thin and runny. Is this normal? I've only used mineral oil before.

Also, as I only use saws occasionally (~10 times a year) does bio chain oil still go gummy if left in the tank? Should I have stuck with mineral oil?!

Cheers.

i got a 25 l oregon  bio oil , for a good discount , and partly because we were taking down big dead elms in a gully where a stream was so went for bio oil , yes it is thnner , not not seen any issues with it  , in fact used it today at 5 deg c blocking up a lot of wood  and was fine , but not full winter yet so maybe it will be more tacky or maybe worse but i did have oiler set to about 50% ,as it does fling off a bit easier  but i would presume oregon did some feild testing with it 

I stopped using the northan arb supplies bio oil as i found it was gumming up the saws.

I found that i was having problems with oiling and gunk all over.

Gone over to the super tack from clark forest, up scotland, and not been having any problems other than the price. Wouldn't mind finding an alternative as i am sure i used to pay £50 delivered and now it is £59 delivered.

But does the job well, no premature wear to bar or chain. No gunky film over the saw and fins and doesn't smell like chip fat. good consistency as well, runnyer than the arbor oil oregon and thicker than the rotor tech variants.

• Like 1

I use straight rapeseed on all my saws from an ms181 up to a ported 281xp that can easily pull a full comp 36" bar in oak. I left the 281 for 9 months with rapeseed in it, and it flowed as easily as the day I left it. No gum up. Having said that, I do not see freezing temperatures very often, which may make all the difference.