CIS registered ?? A question

Littletree

I am self employed sole trader doing sub work just in Arb .

One of the places I have done some work for was talking to me about being or look at registering CIS . I was not on a building site just the usual sub work

How many of you doing sub contract work in Arb are CIS reg ?

Is this something I have to worry about ?? as I am just happy being self employed sole trader and doing my own tax .

Thanks Littletree:001_smile:

give them a letter from yourself or your accountant saying you will pay your own tax, simple. They just want something to cover themselves incase you try and get them to pay your tax at he end of the year. dont take any nonesense from them and just tell them that this is the way you are doing it, we dont fall under the usual tradesman categories.

HI there many thanks for reply . I have just rang the Tax office and had a chat with a really nice guy that explained it all to me .

You are dead right I don't need to be registered at this point unless there is construction work going on within the site so for regular homes and garden tree work and clearance tree work no Cis reg is needed . Its looked at on a job to job basis depending on whats going on the individual site .

If say trees were needed to be takend down and then the builders come to demolish the house stright after then CIS would apply as it then falls into the construction site bracket .

Should anyone need to reg it only takes a cople of mins you have to explain the job and then they decided weather you need to be reg or not . In my case I explained the type of work and they said not at this point it was not needed . . If you do then the employer also has to be Cis reg and will deduct 20 % tax from your invoice they need to provide evidence of there status for your deduction .. Once reg it does not apply to every job you do as its only jobs that fall under the Cis scheme ie construction sites and work taking place on them .

Littletree :biggrin:

even if you are on a building site, we fall under forestery, give the company a copy of your letter from accountant and tell them to pay you in full, the thing is, usually construction comes to a stop until the tree is away, so you can get wht you want if you stand your ground, and if it is a builder then get a cheque the minute you are finished, just offer them a 5% discount if they pay you when you are finished on the day, every penny counts to a developer.

as long as you sign something that will do, the builders will prefer this as it saves them paperwork and time, its diferent if it is 100,000's of pounds because they get the interest on it, but if it is just a few hundred quid a time, they will rather pay, remember you are usually dealing with a secretary that is reading the rules off a screen, we usually dont fit in the categories, building sites are horible places to work, the management talk to the labourers like dirt, when they try it with you just put them in their placem tell them your rules, bite back. They cant do squat until the trees are away, and guys and kit standing around costs money, site agents are usually little napoleons,they have to, working with some hardy guys that maybe aint the sharpest, so when a tree surgeon walks into their office they think they can have a field day, demand paid out the petty cash and start high.

We have CSI and we are not big or do lots of work for builders, to be honest I dont mind it as it is like paying your tax little by little throughtout the year end up with smaller tax bill.

Found it an easy thing to have not a lot of extra work, not think they is a wrong or right issue just how you feel about it.

Cheers

Keven