Length of netted logs

Dave Martin

I know that I`ve laboured this point before BUT looking around stores and forecourts the length of logs in nets seems to be by sight around 8". The difference of say ten logs in a net at 8" and the same number at 10" is 25% more wood in the 10" net yet possibly appearing the same value to the customer. What is considered the optimum length for netted logs to give the perception of value to the customer and best return for the producer :confused1:

The "forecourt" nets tend to be supplied by larger companies such as CPL etc and they sell thousands with 8" logs in them and that's what people have got used to. If you want to compete with them and offer good value to the customer produce the same product and offer it cheaper or at the same price and claim it is "locally produced".

Forecourts and DIY stores sell all these nets because either that's what people want, or people don't care and aren't that fussed about log size 8" - 10", they don't buy them according to length, they buy them because they are convenient

or people don't care and aren't that fussed about log size 8" - 10", they don't buy them according to length, they buy them because they are convenient

Thats really the point I am making. If you were to process a load into 10" lengths and say produce 1000 nets, out of the same quantity of wood you would achieve 1250 nets at 8" which would still sell at the same price. I have a bit of a business plan (conjured up driving around one day) which I think would easily achieve sales of 3000 nets per week (although I would probably buy in rather than produce myself), its just the weight and bulk of the product that is causing a stumbling block.