student quality

oldboyarborist

as a student who has been in the industry for nearly three years, and just over halfway through my ND i think you have hit the nail on the head there Matt.

all i can add to that is that you get out as much as you put in, and anyone can just achieve a pass in college by just coasting and caring about their career, but if you put more in and try harder and do the merit and distinction tasks i think you will come out with quite a good understanding of arboriculture :001_smile:

i agree with joe :thumbup1: we r both in the same group at college and work at the same place and within our college group you can see who has the enthusiasm and makes the effort to achieve and who are just in it for what they think will be an easy ride

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You should have to have worked a minimum of 12 months for a firm, recognized by the college, before you are allowed onto an arb course. This would immediately knock out all the time wasters who think ''it sounds like a cool job'', those who are scared of heights and wait until they are enrolled on a practical arboricultural course to find this out! And those who just aren't cut out for the physically and mentally challenging occupation, in all weathers, that tree work is.

its an age thing i reckon, when you are under 20 you have no worries and your main goal is to get through the week and cant wait for the weekend, if you are just doing this job because it sounds cool and there is a place for you on a course then you arent going to like it. it isnt easy for kids to decide their future when 16, but all i remember is wanting to do anything to get out of school, the fact that i wanted a car was the only reason i worked hard, then i wanted my own place, so kept on working, if i won the lottery tomorrow i would build a big ramp and run all my kit off the pier and burn my harness, i sit here with a sore back, acheing body and my fingers are glowing red and sore.:thumbdown:any young lad that starts with me i try and put them off and tell them to go for a job in the police or firebrigade:001_smile:

If colleges had better selection processes, you would have smaller numbers enrolled, better staff to student ratios, more practical experience and better trained people coming out the other end. This would mean that the qualification you earned, would be more respected in the industry.

What has happened is that higher education has become an industry in itself. Colleges accept as many students as they can on all kinds of mickey mouse courses, dog & cat grooming etc, to get as much money as they can. This means that those students lose out, who are really committed to getting the qualification and learning as much as they can that will be of use to them when they are in tree work for real.

It is numbers through the door unfortunately but when I went to mysercough to be fair the tutors where quick to point out that this job wasnt for those who wanted a nice easy outdoors job or those who expected to be millionaires within 5 years.

Sorry I didnt listen to them now :blushing:

It is numbers through the door unfortunately but when I went to mysercough to be fair the tutors where quick to point out that this job wasnt for those who wanted a nice easy outdoors job or those who expected to be millionaires within 5 years.

:thumbup1: another good point well made

I done a Nc Course a while back..and came out telling employers i could do all aspects of tree care as i had been taught in college! Lol...I laugh when i think back of how little i knew..and looking forward i have so much more to learn.

i think they should teach more rigging and lowering at college. They could use the time better..we were putting fences up ..while we could of been learning how to do removals.

I learnt more from the guys i was working with part-time while at college.

I often wonder how many of the people who were on my course at Merrist Wood and left in '97 are in the industry today.

well i know a bloke at work who did the same ND course as i'm doing at Moreton Morrell, and out of the class he was in which was roughly 25 there are only 4 still in the industry :sneaky2::sneaky2:

You should have to have worked a minimum of 12 months for a firm, recognized by the college, before you are allowed onto an arb course. This would immediately knock out all the time wasters who think ''it sounds like a cool job'', those who are scared of heights and wait until they are enrolled on a practical arboricultural course to find this out! And those who just aren't cut out for the physically and mentally challenging occupation, in all weathers, that tree work is.

That sounds like the best idea. At least you will know whats tree work is really about before starting college....its hard Graft!..Not playing around with chainsaws!