Chain sticks when turned by hand...?

Toby in Buckinghamshire

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All, thanks for all your advice on this thread, much appreciated and I've learn allot.

Turns out that all that fuss was caused by a tiny piece of plastic coated garden wire caught under the 'washer' which sits over the clutch drum/spur sprocket. Photo below showing it! Only discovered it because I decided to take the clutch drum off to check that there was actually a functioning needle bearing in there!

The saw must have picked this up with it's past owner since it has only been used in pretty wild woodland by me! Chain is now running super silky smooth!

Thanks all![ATTACH]219188[/ATTACH]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app

Yea , thought it would be that.[emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G900F using Arbtalk mobile app

Good result and I'm sure we all learnt something.

Yeah, we can add a second line to the expression...

"If it works, don't **** with it"

Such as,

"But if in doubt, rip it apart"

Works for me :001_smile::001_rolleyes:

bmp01

Result ! Thanks for the update.

Soooo, why did tightening the bar nuts cause the chain to not run smooth? Do you think it really was an alignment issue between the sprocket and the bar - because the sprocket had restricted sideways movement?

Or simply the wire getting into the rollers of the needle bearing under some conditions?

bmp01

I'm not sure. I was wondering whether the presence of the wire meant that the spur had worn in a slightly odd way?

There's still an ever so slight catch of the chain roughly every 7 drive links so maybe that is the residual effect of the spur having worn unevenly? It's almost undetectable though.

Not sure but for the time being I won't be replacing the spur since it doesn't seem necessary now!

I have however got a replacement (genuine) oil cap on order to replace the leaking (3rd party) one it came with.

Thanks again chaps.

I'm not sure. I was wondering whether the presence of the wire meant that the spur had worn in a slightly odd way?

There's still an ever so slight catch of the chain roughly every 7 drive links so maybe that is the residual effect of the spur having worn unevenly? It's almost undetectable though.

Not sure but for the time being I won't be replacing the spur since it doesn't seem necessary now!

I have however got a replacement (genuine) oil cap on order to replace the leaking (3rd party) one it came with.

Thanks again chaps.

Just give it a good razzing and it will smooth itself out .