landscaping job

John Shutler

been to look at a job this afternoon which involves removing 31m or there abouts of conifer hedge (6fthigh 3-4ft wide with stems about 6in) removing stumps and digging out the bank they are planted on(3-4ft wide and 2ft high) and removing all the soil which would have to be dug out with a mini digger and barrowed out to a large skip as well as cutting back a 16m laurel hedge by about a ft and putting up 4 concrete posts and panels. never really priced much of this type of work before and to be honest i dont really need the work, but i thought id stick a price in anyway. im reckoning theres 5 days work all in. do you guys who do landcsaping type stuff charge the same as you do for treework. im reckoning there wont be much change from 3k,what do you reckon:confused1:

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

mini digger hire say 250

high tip dumper 250

skips are expensive and soil is very bulky out the ground, 8x bulkier in fact

plus all the other hassles and stuff, i would do the trees and pass on the landscaping to someone else and get their tree work in return mate

that was my first thought, to get someone else to do the digging and earth moving bit

Have you got to price in the skip? because theres allways loads more soil than you think there will be once its dug out and loose. If theres going to be a lot of soil, more than a six yard skips worth id get a grab lorry in.

yeah i would have to price them in

the more i think about it i doubt there would be much change from 3.5k

any job i have ever taken on that wasnt tree related has been a thorn in my side john, stick to what you know, if the weather goes wet then soil isnt cool to work with, and if you have hired in kit then it is coming out your pocket, i would team up with a landcaper and pass work between each of you, if you get a landscaping guy with his own lorry and digger then you are quids in because he will probably take the soil back to his, like us with a chipper, you cant really mess up a price that much in chip volume,

any job i have ever taken on that wasnt tree related has been a thorn in my side john, stick to what you know, if the weather goes wet then soil isnt cool to work with, and if you have hired in kit then it is coming out your pocket, i would team up with a landcaper and pass work between each of you, if you get a landscaping guy with his own lorry and digger then you are quids in because he will probably take the soil back to his, like us with a chipper, you cant really mess up a price that much in chip volume,

good advice buddy, dont really need the work, booking days in for the second week of jan now so im not really that bothered, reckon il pass the crappy bit on

Id quote for all the tree work first and get it cleared and then the landscaping part of the job will be more straight forward to quote for andwork out quantaties of soil to be removed.

If you ever hire a grab lorry in allways have a peek in the tipper to make sure its empty. Had a guy turn up to me once with a quater of a load spread over the bottom, wasn't expecting me to look. He got sent on his way!

i cut an old boys hedge years ago and he asked if i could get rid of his compost heep for him, he had made an edge with 3x2 slabs and it was 5m long 3 feet high, so i guessed 5 dumpy bags, and my mate drove the dewson lorry so he said he would lift htem for me over the back wall for nothing because the old guy was sound, i put 60quid on it, guess how many bags i removed and still honoured the quote??

i cut an old boys hedge years ago and he asked if i could get rid of his compost heep for him, he had made an edge with 3x2 slabs and it was 5m long 3 feet high, so i guessed 5 dumpy bags, and my mate drove the dewson lorry so he said he would lift htem for me over the back wall for nothing because the old guy was sound, i put 60quid on it, guess how many bags i removed and still honoured the quote??

20 bags