Chainsaw trouser

tony_t3d

The husky technicals are definitely cooler up trees but I think the lack of tick guards means you get a breeze up your strides ! Not a bad trouser though and honeys bros did have them at a good price.

I do like the pfanners but the price is getting hard to justify.

Pfanners are great trousers but as you say very expensive.

Im not a fan of the trousers that are overly forestry orange,i have the xfits again hard to justify the price tag.

The still economy trousers are decent for the price but the all black colour will most definetly assist in cooking your balls in the warmer months.

My favs are stihl hiflex...the material isnt that great against thorns or brambles but a medium fits me perfectly,and theyre light and allow for movement up the tree.

Personally i think the prices of trousers are rediculous espescially the popular named brands stihl husky and pfanner.

As I have said in recent post I am about to do my climbing course. In the build up I am trying to get the kit together that I will require.

As tree work is only one aspect of my work we do not have anyone in management with knowledge off tree work and the ppe required. I have 2 pairs of chainsaw trousers now a bib n brace pair of shtil and a better more lightweight pair of shtil. But they are only class A I think.

My understanding is they have to be a class c for climbing?? (I may be right off the mark please bare with me.) They have just bought me a pair of portwest trousers that are worse quality than the 2 I already have.

My question is what is the lowest standard I should accept? Considering I will be the sole climber once qualified.

Any clarification you can give me will be appreciated

I know this isn't what you were asking but, if you are going to be the sole climber once you are qualified, what is the policy on rescue climbers in the worst case scenario?

I would recommend that as others have stated, you get hold of a pair of the best trousers you can afford. I'd steer clear of bib and braces. I can't stand them personally, but others may differ.

Depending on the Risk assessment thats in place, you could argue that Type As will be less of a risk in certain situations, but this is probably something for after your tickets.

I could be getting you mixed up with someone else, but didn't you say that you were quite a tall chap? Pfanners are generally regarded as the best trousers out there but it will really depend on your budget. Maybe keep an eye out for end of season offers, especially if you are tall and long as they tend to have a few pairs in the "tall and short" section when the next seasons come in.

Hope this helps:001_smile:

This is a pretty new venture for my employer. There is no experience from myself or any other member of staff with regards to the climbing side of things. I have been felling for 6 years and there is 4 others who have been felling about the same time. But it has all been ground based.

Last year I was told to go up in a cherry picker every day for around 3 months felling some large trees and reducing some other large trees. This to me was verry botched and sketchy way of doing things so I made my opinions known that I wouldn't be doing it no more until I had completed some relevant training. The site is 640 acre and all my work is done within the boundaries. We do not do it for profit it's solely for the purposes of making the camp look tidy.

And I am 6'2" pretty average hight but shtil trousers to fit my leg length have around a 40" waist for some reason.

584e9c2861db10df520f6470450fb87b.jpg