Partnet K650 Active 111

howburn

I know it's not a chainsaw, but I need some advice.

The above saw came to me for repair in July this year. Not running no spark. Diagnosed faulty coil. New genuine 'green' coil £85 GBP. Non genuine of eBay around £45. The seller has very good feedback (100% + and 46500 have left feedback). I can't leave a link on this posting, you can search eBay UK for the coil, I think there is only one seller selling such an item.

The saw went fine, gave it back to customer. Month or so after saw was starting to play up, as my customer had another machine from the dealer he let the dealer look at this saw, they replaced barrel and piston and gave it back to him, and he has been using it. Until last week refused to start. He took the saw back o the dealer and they say needs new barrel and piston again, due to it over revving because of non genuine coil.

I would be interested on your thoughts on this. I was not aware that the coil controlled, limited the revs. Or is it possible the dealer did the first repair wrongly and using the coil as a scape goat.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by howburn
spelling

dont know anything specific about partner cut-off saws...

but i know more and more husky saws are coming with rev-limited coils these days... they are usually blue and more often than not a black non-limited version is also available...

rev-limiting a coil is a 'safety measure' so that people dont toast their top-ends by revving the tats off an engine while it is not under load... in the cut it makes no real difference, because under a load the revs drop way below the limit anyway.

with an un-limited coil, the only way to toast an engine by 'over-revving' is if you are waving it around in the air with the throttle wide open for a good minute or more.

or

if the carb is tuned too lean and the rpm's under load are too high.... but then, this will toast a saw with a rev-limited coil as well...

so in the case of the partner saw in question... either operator error, incorrectly tuned carb or a problem unrelated to the carb/coil (air leak at crank seals etc)

hope that helps:001_rolleyes:

Thank you very much for the advice so far, particularly to niftysteve for the PDF. I was unaware of revlimiting coils, and can see them causing trouble. I really need to find out if this defiantly needed one. The owner fortunately does not hold me responsible and he is bringing the saw and damaged parts back to me for inspection.

The coil I bought was advertised as a non genuine but direct replacement for this saw. OE part number 503901701. After market part number GHS 2727. So if this is the cause then there may be some come back.

Thanks

I really need to find out if this defiantly needed one. /QUOTE]

nothing really needs a rev-limited coil.... as long as the carb is correctly tuned (which can actually be difficult with a rev-limited coil) and the equipment is used as it is intended... i find them to be a pain in the proverbials