Spam on chrome through Arbtalk

stewmo

Should'nt tempt fate, but not had it since I followed your recommendation to install malwarebytes.

Hmm,

Thats a fairly strong pointer that its browser based, particually as there have been some reports of it apearing via Firefox so not just a Chrone issue/vuln

I bet NoScript will also stop it, what ever it is

N

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really need someone who is getting this consistently to help. I plan to turn off the adverts tonight at 9pm. If some of you guys can be present and have a real good browse of the forums for 5-10 minutes to see if you can get the pop up that could be a big help.

Just now Steve @ 22.30, third time in the past couple of days on IE11.

EDIT - Just Googled the phone number on the pop up and the first result was this.......

By Anonymous 7 hours ago

This IS a SCAM. My pop up led me to call "Microsoft Support" on this number. Was on for about 45 mins as seemed technically astute. They took control of my PC to "fix" it - said Operating System needed reloading ($180) and my Norton AV was not compatible so they could load Microsoft one ($300). It all sounded so professional but I jjust had that nagging doubt so terminated the call. Rang the REAL Microsoft who said; not them, yes it is a scam, do NOT reconnect to the internet for at least 24 hrs. When I do reconnect I will look for anything suspicious. All passwords etc changed and on-line banking suspended so, HOPEFULLY, no damage done other than stress and waste of time. Reported it to the police just in case there is any subsequent loss.

Funny how they're quoting figures in US Dollars on a UK phone number :biggrin:

Regards,

Steve.

Edited by Arbtech Tree Services
Add. info