Advice on ash tree

reidy

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the only way to end this ongoing debate is to assess a few pictures of the tree between ourselves...ash as we all know are notorious for brittle fractures and often display poor compartmentilization and seem to place exhausted energy elsewhere i.e. into producing an abundance of epicormic growth. The so called split in the bark of the main stem has not be further described, by this i mean measurements and proportions. Once this data has been provided a comparison can be made to the size of the crown, degree of lean and any other notable defects and defects.

I would say that it is a bit drastic to instantly recommend felling the tree, not an approporiate answer. As stated previously, the overall vigour/vitality of the tree should be commented on...is there any repsonse to wounding i.e. recation wood (callus) or is the tree unable to do so due to low vigour through some kind of stress (site conditions, pest or desiease)??

The target area is always a key consideration, espiecially in a heavily trafficed area. Furthermore i would question whether the school has the funds to provide continual management for this particualr specimen?if not, then a long term and viable solution may be to fell and replace, but lets not be hasty.

Ive been asked to clear some small trees at my sons school for a a nature area , gardening etc . QUOTE]

If it does turn out to be dodgy, I'd consider coppicing it, either on it's own or as part of small coppice area:

• Ash makes a fine coppice and would complement the 'nature area'
  • The young stems look great in winter sunshine
  • It could provide a good resource for a number of learning subjets - eg botany, traditional crafts, traditional management, sustainable fuel production etc.
  • They'd need someone to coppice it in years to come
  • Given the above, it might be easier to sell the idea of coppicing rather than removal.

In fact, even if it's not dodgy I'd consider coppicing it for the above reasons.:001_smile:

Edited by Giles Hill