Welcome to the Arbtalk.co.uk | Discussion Forum for Arborists.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Tree health care Discuss tree pests and diseases. Talk about the latest developments in tree health care.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-04-09   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle sponsor 2008, 2009, 2010

Novozymes products.

Anyone had any experience with these? I've used quite a bit of mycorrhizal feed on sports turf and it's had excellent results, just wondering what their tree stuff is like? I'm sure I've got a sample pack somewhere, but just thought I'd seek some expert opinions.

Cheers

Swooop
Old 26-04-09   #2 (permalink)
Site Moderator, Raffle Sponsor 2013

Re: Novozymes products.

No experience of Novozymes products, but I would be sure to find out exactly what mycorrhiza is being supplied, and whether it is specifically associated with the target Trees species.

Are they endo or ectophytic for a start. Or just generic.

Would be interested to hear of what is being supplied, if you get the chance.

No alterior motive, other than to help my own awareness of where the trade is currently, in understanding and supplying these products

"
William Blake

TreeFung-ous

david.humphries@cityoflondon.gov.uk

Fungal Diversity
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eER5GyUqQJ0
Old 26-04-09   #3 (permalink)

Oooh, good stuff to throw in there monkeyd. I know a little about the turf grass stuff, a mix of endophytic mycorr and chicken manure, more research need for the tree stuff. Time to read the manual, thanks for giving me a direction.

Regards

Swooop
Old 27-04-09   #4 (permalink)

Morning

We use ALS Roots Mycorrhizae and it works really well, never normally used on its own but with correct soil fertilisation, back up with a soil sample you can really see the difference

Works really well as a preventative control.

Hope this helps

Meep

Turf Maintenance Products, SportsTurf and Horticultural Supplies and Products, UK (Go to Natural Solutions)
Old 19-05-09   #5 (permalink)

Meep, thanks for the info and the link. Sorry it's been such a late reply, I had to buy a new keyboard as the old one decided I didn't need half the alphabet... Never was the most organised individual.
You're right about applying stuff backed up with knowledge from a soil sample, you never know where builders have dumped a ton of chalk until you have a look... Hopefully we should get some sent to the lab at the same time as some of our turf samples.
I've had a look at the Mycospikes we've been sent a sample of and the main mycorrhiza present appear to be pisolithus tinctorus and rhizopogon fulvigleba/villosuli, which are ectophytic I think... and there's the usual selection of 6-10-10, Fe and Mg.
It's all new to me, I've got some trees lined up to try things out on that need the help, we shall see how they do.

Regards

Swooop
Old 19-05-09   #6 (permalink)
Raffle Sponsor 2007, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013

Are we talking about adding mychorrizal fungi spores to mature or newly planted trees? if we are talking mature, then adding mychorrizal spores is a waste of time, money and effort, rersearch papers have proven its snake oil, plus a large tree wouldn't have gotten large if mychor wasn't present, the trick is cultivate the mychor you already have...

P.S I must update my web site

Plant health care Australia

Last edited by Lee Winger; 19-05-09 at 07:34 PM..
Old 19-05-09   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Winger View Post
Are we talking about adding mychorrizal fungi spores to mature or newly planted trees? if we are talking mature, then adding mychorrizal spores is a waste of time, money and effort, rersearch papers have proven its snake oil, plus a large tree wouldn't have gotten large if mychor wasn't present, the trick is cultivate the mychor you already have...

P.S I must update my web site
Evening Lee,

I disagree with your above statement,

Now we should agree on the first part -

Mycorrhiza a naturally occurring fungi that has a symbiotic relationship with trees
The name means ďfungus root.Ē It colonizes the roots of plants and extends itself into the soil so the plant can absorb additional nutrients such as phosphorous and nitrogen. In return, the plant releases sugars to the fungi that are produced by photosynthesis.
Through this process plants are more able to survive extremes in temperature, poor soil, soil compaction, neglect, and various other problems. Mature trees benefit from applications of the fungi if they are living in poor or compacted soil and do not have adequate resident populations of Mycorrhizal.

Now the bit we can disagree on.

Youíre not replacing the natural Mycorrhizal spores, but you are adding to them.

A really good analogy for this is a human can live on 1000 calories a day but what would happen if we try to compete in the Olympics? Some times you just need a bit more.

The problem with research is you can list 10 papers to say I dosenít work and I can list 10 papers that say it dose work!!!

The Key is to make your own opinion on the matter, I believe the research that it does work, you believe the research that I dosenít work

Meep
Old 20-05-09   #8 (permalink)
Raffle Sponsor 2007, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meep View Post
Evening Lee,

I disagree with your above statement,

Now we should agree on the first part -

Mycorrhiza a naturally occurring fungi that has a symbiotic relationship with trees
The name means “fungus root.” It colonizes the roots of plants and extends itself into the soil so the plant can absorb additional nutrients such as phosphorous and nitrogen. In return, the plant releases sugars to the fungi that are produced by photosynthesis.
Through this process plants are more able to survive extremes in temperature, poor soil, soil compaction, neglect, and various other problems. Mature trees benefit from applications of the fungi if they are living in poor or compacted soil and do not have adequate resident populations of Mycorrhizal.

Now the bit we can disagree on.

You’re not replacing the natural Mycorrhizal spores, but you are adding to them.
Yeah I know all that, I listern and learn from the leaders in this field, you ''cannot'' inocculate mature trees with Mychorrhiza succesfully, ask Andy Cowan, Ted Green and any knowledgable mycologists...cultivate what you have, thats the trick...

I havent seen one recent paper that praises mychorriza innoculation...

Plant health care Australia

Last edited by Lee Winger; 20-05-09 at 09:46 PM..
Old 21-05-09   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Winger View Post
Yeah I know all that, I listern and learn from the leaders in this field, you ''cannot'' inocculate mature trees with Mychorrhiza succesfully, ask Andy Cowan, Ted Green and any knowledgable mycologists...cultivate what you have, thats the trick...

I havent seen one recent paper that praises mychorriza innoculation...

Lee,

We are going to disagree again even thou I have the up most respected for Ted Green and love his work on Veteran tree management and could quiet happily spend all day listening to him talk about trees, he is not a leader in the field of Mycorrhizae.

And I wonít make any commentís about Andy.

As far as Iím aware the world-leading expert on Mycorrhizae is Dr Don Marx.

Dr. Marxís 40 years experience with the USDA Forest Service, he researched the practical utilization of mycorrhizal fungi to improve forest generation and reclamation in the US and abroad, and has authored over 230 scientific articles. An internationally recognized authority in forestry.

Dr. Marx is the recipient of the exclusive Marcus Wallenberg Prize (the Nobel Prize of Forestry), which was awarded by the King of Sweden (1991).

There have been 10í000 research papers Mycorrhizae, some are not going to agree with each other.

And your not going to change my mind, lets just agree the disagree on this matter.

Read a few of Dr. Marx papers there very good.

Meep
Old 21-05-09   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
We use ALS Roots Mycorrhizae and it works really well, never normally used on its own but with correct soil fertilisation...
I would like to interject a few thoughts on this discussion.

Through the many research papers applied to mycorrhizae an interesting side note has come to light. The relationship must be needed for the connection to be made. Fertilizing has been shown to interrupt the process. If the two subjects don't require the assistance of each other, they will not make the connection.

Quote:
Mycorrhiza a naturally occurring fungi that has a symbiotic relationship with trees ...

Meep
Adding mycorrhizae to deficient or compacted soils is treated a symptom without correcting the problem. Lee's advice of nurturing the mycorrhizae through cultural means will have longer lasting benefits.

Discussions usually focus on the symbiotic relationship with trees and mycorrhizae, however, the soil biota is also dependent upon this relationship together working as a whole. Isolating individual portions of this equation may create only partial results and in some instances may interrupt the entire process.

Dave