Makita Dcs520 with broken casing for bumper spike

Jim372xp

I found this enoyning little problem today on my 520.Problem is I don't know what to do now, I took the bumper spike off so its not stopping me using the saw but it's repairing it to put the spike back on that concerns me, do you think it's possible to tig weld it in situ without stripping saw down or would welding it in situ put to much heat into the crank case and damage gaskets and seals etc , your thoughts gentleman please :confused1::confused1:

DSC_0029.jpg.7c5ba063b2c52f114fd2792cdfd1ce94.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg.1fa75af702421d63232bd79f97a07fbf.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg.0524969325361c761a17b3761755c20b.jpg

Forget welding it, there is a lot of magnesium in the casing alloy and personally, I don't think it will work.

My suggestion is to take off the chain catcher and the dog spikes, modify the lower part of the dogs by welding in a further plate so it mounts to the chain catcher mount - you could even make a chain catcher in to the assembly but it would be of steel rather than aluminium which may cause damage to a chain when coming off.

DON'T leave the chain catcher off if you do this for obvious reasons!

Shavey that sounds very unfortunate that you have to break a perfectly good saw for parts, I was thinking about my problem and thought of welding a piece of steel to the bumper spike and fitting it on the clutch cover side and using the bar studs and nuts to keep it in place like whats on my mates husky 281 set up.