076 milling advise

Thatoldchestnut

Hi all millers I'm after a bit of advise I've just bought a 076 av for milling what size bar would be a good size it already has a 30 and 25 inch bar coming with it but think I'm going to want to put a larger bar on it at some point would the 46 inch sugihara bar be suitable I also need a mill I'm thinking the 48 inch or possibly 56? And my last question is where is the best place to purchase these items? :thumbup:

Thanks in advance for any help much appreciated cheer luke

Mills and bars can be purchased from Rob D at chainsawbars.co.uk

I would go with a 48" mill as it will do pretty much everything you run across. I would also go for a mini-mill for quartering logs.

The saw will pull a long bar, but I would go for the 46" Sugihara as a start - it will give you around 38" capacity with the dogs on, 40 with the dogs off, which will deal with most things. It is a very rigid bar, which helps keep cuts straight.

Don't forget you will also need ripping chains and the Granberg precision grinder is highly recommended for quickly sharpening long chains, maintaining even length and angle on the teeth.

Alec

Cheers Alec thanks for the response. You rate those precision grinders then?

Yes. I find mine very good and there are several threads on here where people rate them highly.

Milling really does need every tooth sharp and even, which is a lot easier with the grinder.

Alec

• 2 weeks later...

Hi luke I am quite new to milling myself and yes the grinder is a must as agg says esential to keep cutters sharp and same length you will also need a good ladder and some wedges you may also want to take a look at the threds on hear about putting a winch on an alaskan everybody highly recomends them I have one but have not had time to use it yet but have a look and happy milling

Cheers Mark