struggling with splicing double braid class 1!

mattplace

On double braid class 1 splice i am struggling with reinserting the core back into the cover. where it crosses over original core, it keeps getting jammed solid. i am using a wire fid so maybe this is where i'm going wrong?

would a toss wand or tubular fid help?

i have only succeeded with one bury at this stage but i couldn't finish the final bury because the core seemed to bunch up at the new spliced eye. I am using the samson instructions.

my hands are in pieces!!!:sneaky2:

(BTW its on yale silver streak)

I am no expert bro, but if you keep tension on the core loop (which helps to narrow its diameter), anchor the fid to something solid and then massage the cover over the core rather than trying to pull the core through the cover it may be easier. Thats my 2cents worth. There are some very experienced splicers on here so hopefully someone chimes in. Good luck.

you could try doing a very short taper where the core is in your fid. this will reduce the volume a tad and may help you to then get the pull started. once youve got the core to pull through, anchor it to something solid and then jerk it through.

If your eye is bunching up then try milking away from eye but keeping some tension in the eye, i do this by keeping a carabiner in the eye and holding it with my other hand. To keep the crossover nice and tight try inserting a splicing needle through the x over. or whip it together. During the bury, keep milking back every so often and jerking the crab in the eye back. Sometimes when the bury is super tight you can gently hit the throat with a rubber hammer to loosen the fibers a bit more . Hope it helps bro

Taking care when inserting the fid and pushing it through is one of the key steps, make sure it dosent snag any of the fibers, as others have said, take a small amount of the inner core, sometimes it's better to take out half the fibers from the end then fold the longer fibers over the shorter ones, this will give you a little more room, bunch up the cover at the cross over and gently pull, if it gets stuck pull it back out re -insert and try again, don't struggle if it's stuck. Keep everything nice and smooth.

High Scale: when you take half the fibres away and fold them over, do you tape them or let friction do its job?

do you all use wire fids on class1 double braid?

Thanks for all the replies, i will have to try and sneak an anchor point into the living room somewhere to help me!:biggrin:

Don't use tape it will create too much friction, only take half the strands from the very end, take care when folding, make sure that the shorter strands are still trapped through the fid, the longer strands will hold them in place. I tend to use a wire fid and save the Toss Wand for sixteen strand and larger diameter Double braid.

How did you get on Matt. Any luck?

I've just done a bit of silver streak, went not too badly.

High Scale pretty much said what I'd say

its getting earsier! i havent had much time lately but i'm off to the arbshow tomorrow to stock up on more rope! i'll post some pics up when i get chance to have the splices scruitenised!

its getting earsier! i havent had much time lately but i'm off to the arbshow tomorrow to stock up on more rope! i'll post some pics up when i get chance to have the splices scruitenised!

Same :biggrin: I'm off there tomorrow too. May see you there mate, I'll be the one buying bundles of rope.....that I cant afford :001_rolleyes: