Going to test drive a Hilux

spandit

Haven't owned a truck before but I want something for doing tip runs and picking stuff up from builders merchants etc.

Going to look at a 2006 2.5 manual today. It's the lower power one and I'm wondering whether I'm going to regret not buying a higher power (3.0) or an automatic (I might be going over the odd field or so but my Jimny is manual and doesn't have a problem)

Is the ride on long journeys really that bad? I'm 6'4" - will I fit? I know these are things that should be apparent on a test drive.

It's this one:

Toyota Hilux

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used the same model for 3 years as a work truck and it's was perfectly sufficient. The 2.5 is ok performance wise. You can push it to 80 but it'll sit comfortably at 70. Decent for towing up to 2.5t. I'm 6'3 and found it comfortable.

I am still a hilux fan but in my experience they are no better than the competition yet more expensive. Best value for money in my opinion is the ranger. £7k will get a a good 3lt wildtrac.

Edited by richy_B

Personally I find the ride in Rangers to be a bit too bouncy. Yes you can replace/stiffen the shocks, but off the shelf Rangers feel like a roller coaster.

You are right about Hilux being more expensive for no other reason then they were on Top Gear as the most indestructible truck. I have had a 3 different L200s, 2 Hilux and a Ranger, and I prefer the L200 out of them all. They were much sturdier/solid on the road, pulled hard when needed and do everything offroad that I asked of it. The only downside to the L200 is I think the clearance is marginally lower - but again, you can remedy that if you want to do it.

Haven't owned a truck before but I want something for doing tip runs and picking stuff up from builders merchants etc.

Going to look at a 2006 2.5 manual today. It's the lower power one and I'm wondering whether I'm going to regret not buying a higher power (3.0) or an automatic (I might be going over the odd field or so but my Jimny is manual and doesn't have a problem)

Is the ride on long journeys really that bad? I'm 6'4" - will I fit? I know these are things that should be apparent on a test drive.

It's this one:

Toyota Hilux

Hi mate there's some good deals on them thanks Jon

I have a L200 currently (older shape 2005) and really like it except for fuel consumption, which is dire.

Agree the ranger can be a bit bouncy but I generally don't drive around unladen. Most pickups are a bit light on the backend and so can be a bit lively if you have no cargo. I have a pallet with 10 bags of ballast that I put in when I am just driving about or towing.

It's this one:

Toyota Hilux

If it's the one with out bonnet vent it's very under powered

I think 2007/2008 they upped the power and put bonnet vent in

Won't go far wrong with a Hilux

Well. I drove it and it didn't have the acceleration of my Subaru Forester (not surprising) but was quieter at 70mph once it got there. Haven't made up my mind yet but will have a look at some others. Driving position seemed quite comfortable although on a short test drive it's difficult to really tell how it would be long term