Which learning route to take?

Grüße

I've been working in the tree game for around a year in England and Australia, have the relevant tickets and the like but I am still a novice really, and now I want to have a go down the academic route while I work to develop my knowledge. Trouble is there seem to be so many courses I'm not sure where to start!

I'm live in Warwickshire so I have been snooping around the warwickshire college website for courses. The level 2 looks to be like a course for students who aren't currently working in arboriculture and it is full time so wouldn't be suitable for me in that respect, but should I start with this before signing up for a Level 4 or level 6 diploma?? Also is the college route the best way to go as I've heard many good things about Tree Life too?

The other thing that confused me is that when I enquired about the ABC level 4 diploma they told me it was a 10 week course and you attend classes on Tuesday evenings starting in September...but I've seen guys on here saying that a Level 2 takes a couple of years, so a Level 4 in 10 weeks seems way off the mark!? (although I did a Level 2 in Amenity Horticulture and that took around 3 months and seemed very basic).

Eventually I'd like to do the degree in Arb but I need to walk before I can run. Can anyone suggest a starting point, and some feedback on the above mentioned courses? Is it even possible to do a Level 4 if you haven't done levels 1 2 or 3??

Cheers

Doing mine with TreeLife this Sept'. The Lvl 4. The Lvl 6 is probably too much at the deep end unless you really know your stuff. The Lvl 4 is about right for me, having looked at the spec.

I have a BSc in Environmental Conservation, so the Lvl 4 was arguably my entry point. I presume that, assuming you pay (!), they won't not let you do the course you want to do (though may encourage you to do otherwise, perhaps).

The Lvl 4 could be a ten week course if you crammed it all in. It's panned out over an academic year usually, however.

Thanks, I have a HND in Countryside Management hopefully that will be enough for the level 4. Can I ask how much you're paying for the level 4? Also how does Tree Life work, do they just email you over a bunch of assignments and have online tutorials?

Thanks, I have a HND in Countryside Management hopefully that will be enough for the level 4. Can I ask how much you're paying for the level 4? Also how does Tree Life work, do they just email you over a bunch of assignments and have online tutorials?

Tree Life will work just great, just pay the money, best money you will ever spend regardless of what quals you come away with, the tech cert i found to be more informative than the following foundation degree course i did, great bunch of blokes who present it. :thumbup1: In my life in Arb, yes your qualifications are important , but the quality of content, richness counts more. Tree Life do bring a certain flavor to the curriculum.

Tree Life will work just great, just pay the money, best money you will ever spend regardless of what quals you come away with, the tech cert i found to be more informative than the following foundation degree course i did, great bunch of blokes who present it. :thumbup1: In my life in Arb, yes your qualifications are important , but the quality of content, richness counts more. Tree Life do bring a certain flavor to the curriculum.

Sounds ideal, I presume it is all done via distance learning and online tutorials then? What is the work load like?

Sounds ideal, I presume it is all done via distance learning and online tutorials then? What is the work load like?

Jesse's comments are spot on about tree life. I did tech cert with them and my level 6. The work load for L6 is unbelievable but well worth it. You have to meet 100% of the assessment criteria so no trying to wing it as you could with the old exam based stuff like I did a bit with my tech cert in places. Its though but good.

If Warwick are telling you that you can do L4 in 10 weeks I would go back and ask them how many pass on that basis as I doubt any do. Its designed to be a 1 year course as day release. That is how tree life run it and they wrote the syllabus. I know a lad who started L4 there a year before I started L6, I've been finished for a year now and he is still going.

The best way to do the courses is day release but tree life do a correspondence version called treemail also. They don't really recommend it though as you will get so much from the sessions.

Speak with Dave from tree life about your entry level as they also do L2 now as well. What is also worth remembering is that as Dave Dowson from tree life wrote the syllabus for L2, L4, and L6, if anyone can teach it he can. The other training providers go to him for guidance. Its a no brainer mate.

Good luck. :thumbup:

Jesse's comments are spot on about tree life. I did tech cert with them and my level 6. The work load for L6 is unbelievable but well worth it. You have to meet 100% of the assessment criteria so no trying to wing it as you could with the old exam based stuff like I did a bit with my tech cert in places. Its though but good.

If Warwick are telling you that you can do L4 in 10 weeks I would go back and ask them how many pass on that basis as I doubt any do. Its designed to be a 1 year course as day release. That is how tree life run it and they wrote the syllabus. I know a lad who started L4 there a year before I started L6, I've been finished for a year now and he is still going.

The best way to do the courses is day release but tree life do a correspondence version called treemail also. They don't really recommend it though as you will get so much from the sessions.

Speak with Dave from tree life about your entry level as they also do L2 now as well. What is also worth remembering is that as Dave Dowson from tree life wrote the syllabus for L2, L4, and L6, if anyone can teach it he can. The other training providers go to him for guidance. Its a no brainer mate.

Good luck. :thumbup:

I have just read the qualification guidance for the level 4 - why Warwickshire college told me it is a 10 week course is beyond me, I think they need a new admin! It looks very intense but very interesting.

I've done a bit of research into Tree Life too, they sound like the dogs to me. Only problem now is that I'm currently in Australia and I was planning to be here next year as well doing tree work, so it will either need to be Tree Mail, or I put it off until I'm sticking around in the UK...

• 4 weeks later...
Doing mine with TreeLife this Sept'. The Lvl 4. The Lvl 6 is probably too much at the deep end unless you really know your stuff. The Lvl 4 is about right for me, having looked at the spec.

I have a BSc in Environmental Conservation, so the Lvl 4 was arguably my entry point. I presume that, assuming you pay (!), they won't not let you do the course you want to do (though may encourage you to do otherwise, perhaps).

The Lvl 4 could be a ten week course if you crammed it all in. It's panned out over an academic year usually, however.

Are you doing it at Barchams, Ely? If you are, i'll see you there.

I've been meaning to do this course for years - now i've finally committed.