Child hood hero!

Pat Ferrett

My old man was a great story teller and I would sit an chat every night about the things he got up to as a kid. My favourite tales were of a mate of his called Earnie Whickham. Earnie was a bloke that Im told always laughed about life and made the best of what he'd got. He was dropped in Arnham in the second world war and was one of the lucky ones to get back to his own lines, one of his greatest loves was fighting and he didnt seem to have a nerve in his body. I grew up wanting to join the Para but was stopped in my tracks by an eye condition but this has'nt stopped me admiring the man that I never met. Just wondered If any of you lot grew up with a Hero or Idol?

Has to be my dad mate I remember walking down the street with him as a kid and was only big enough to hold his finger, I remember feeling so safe and thinking I was cool walking down the street with him:blushing: I've got too many stories to put on here but he was a bit of a hero to me especially watching him climb the lads at work:thumbup: called him lorry the legend! He didn't like it when I was getting a bit cocky and joking with him saying " isn't a legend something old that no one believes in anymore" he chased me around the yard a bit ( all in good humor though)

Has to be my dad mate I remember walking down the street with him as a kid and was only big enough to hold his finger, I remember feeling so safe and thinking I was cool walking down the street with him:blushing: I've got too many stories to put on here but he was a bit of a hero to me especially watching him climb the lads at work:thumbup: called him lorry the legend! He didn't like it when I was getting a bit cocky and joking with him saying " isn't a legend something old that no one believes in anymore" he chased me around the yard a bit ( all in good humor though)

Top reply Lorry

I was never that close to my dad . It must be really cool to have that bond with ya dad :thumbup: . Although me and my two lads are close .

My childhood heros , The professionals oh and Minder :lol:

Top reply Lorry

I was never that close to my dad . It must be really cool to have that bond with ya dad :thumbup: . Although me and my two lads are close .

My childhood heros , The professionals oh and Minder :lol:

My dads father was never there for him mate and he got jailed at 15 for car theft it turned him into a good man and I wouldn't of dared do anything wrong because everyone round here would tell him. Sooty if I'm talking out of turn but if you weren't close to your dad I reckon you will make sure you are to your sons and they will see you as a hero mate:thumbup:

The problem with my dad is he doesn't think I feel like that about him no matter how much I tell him he's learning now though since he's had his grandchildren turn up:thumbup:

My dads father was never there for him mate and he got jailed at 15 for car theft it turned him into a good man and I wouldn't of dared do anything wrong because everyone round here would tell him. Sooty if I'm talking out of turn but if you weren't close to your dad I reckon you will make sure you are to your sons and they will see you as a hero mate:thumbup:

The problem with my dad is he doesn't think I feel like that about him no matter how much I tell him he's learning now though since he's had his grandchildren turn up:thumbup:

Yeah its strange my dad reckons as he was brought up without affection that he should do the same with us . When I was 18 I asked him why he never said ( I love you ) he had no answer . Now I tell both mine eveyday I love em the 15 yr old still gets his kiss goodnight . Alhough he doesnt tell his friends :lol:

Really cool how your Dad is up there . As your younguns grow up they will sense the bond . They will have both Dad and Grandad to look up to and your brother :thumbup:

you soppy buggers lol my dad was great always built me things like a castle with all the knights a tommy gun that actually made the sound and the best aset of stilts a cud talk for ages about the stuff we did am 41 now an still give him a hug (when no ones watching of course:blushing:) i think the best one is listening to him sing even now he sings to my kids an a love it when he sings " time to go to bed now .... little man youve had a busy day" thats it now im getting choked up an need to do something manly :lol:

Yeah its strange my dad reckons as he was brought up without affection that he should do the same with us . When I was 18 I asked him why he never said ( I love you ) he had no answer . Now I tell both mine eveyday I love em the 15 yr old still gets his kiss goodnight . Alhough he doesnt tell his friends :lol:

Really cool how your Dad is up there . As your younguns grow up they will sense the bond . They will have both Dad and Grandad to look up to and your brother :thumbup:

My dad still daren't say that mate he is a bit too macho old haha but I know it he let's it out every now and again he's just been strict with me to push me to be the best I can. He's done a good job of bringing me and Owa youngen up but he still thinks we are 14 and keeps pushing us haha

My dad was my childhood hero, then him and my mum split up and it all went tits up from there. Me and my sister got used as abit of a weapon, they used to use us to score cheap points off each other. I dont see much of my mum anymore, and my dad has re-married and become a different person. (For the worse) Being out in the sticks abit i never had many friend so have always been abit of a loner. but hey i still have some good memories riding around on the tractor with him until i was about 12, then it went down hill from there.

Maybe one day me and my dad will be able to get on like old times.

Edited by Tree Man Tom

you soppy buggers lol my dad was great always built me things like a castle with all the knights a tommy gun that actually made the sound and the best aset of stilts a cud talk for ages about the stuff we did am 41 now an still give him a hug (when no ones watching of course:blushing:) i think the best one is listening to him sing even now he sings to my kids an a love it when he sings " time to go to bed now .... little man youve had a busy day" thats it now im getting choked up an need to do something manly :lol:

Sounds like your Dad rocks to :thumbup: Yeah go and do something manly like build a castle full of knights . Wicked :001_smile: