WHat size stacking area do I need?

Hi all.

Hoping someone can shed some light on this. For a volume of around 1200 cubic meters, how big of a landing/stacking area do I need? I know it could be a how long is a piece of string question, however this is for a assignment not actual practise so if am a few percent out its not the end of the world. If it helps around 17% are saw logs, the rest are for pallet and such.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Hi all.

Hoping someone can shed some light on this. For a volume of around 1200 cubic meters, how big of a landing/stacking area do I need? I know it could be a how long is a piece of string question, however this is for a assignment not actual practise so if am a few percent out its not the end of the world. If it helps around 17% are saw logs, the rest are for pallet and such.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

The volume of the timber involved has got nowt to do with the length of this particular bit of string.

How many cubes a day will you produce and what rate can you forward it at? You want the forwarding capacity to be just about the same as the harvester capacity and the landing and stacking area will need to be able to cope with this on a daily basis.

The actual size of the stacking area is as an absolute minimum the footprint of 1 wagon load of each and every product you plan to extract - you have already mentioned logs and pallet. It will need to be extended to allow a buffer capacity so that the forwarder is not held up when wagons are delayed, with enough space to segregate products.

It should also be big enough so that wagons can park in the centre or on one side - the hard road side obviously - and the forwarder accesses the other or both outer sides if you are stacking on two sides of the road

Cheers

mac

The volume of the timber involved has got nowt to do with the length of this particular bit of string.

How many cubes a day will you produce and what rate can you forward it at? You want the forwarding capacity to be just about the same as the harvester capacity and the landing and stacking area will need to be able to cope with this on a daily basis.

The actual size of the stacking area is as an absolute minimum the footprint of 1 wagon load of each and every product you plan to extract - you have already mentioned logs and pallet. It will need to be extended to allow a buffer capacity so that the forwarder is not held up when wagons are delayed, with enough space to segregate products.

It should also be big enough so that wagons can park in the centre or on one side - the hard road side obviously - and the forwarder accesses the other or both outer sides if you are stacking on two sides of the road

Cheers

mac

Yep.

We work out our landing sizes a machine width+1m+ longest product. So we have 5.2m sawlogs or 5.2m pulp+3m machine and a meter off the stack. So 9m plus some space so the landing is 10m wide. Stacks up against the road side.

Short products like 2.66 pulp and 2.5 logs can be double stacked saving length of the landing.

In the manual of most forwarders is the area of the headboard in the case of the Caribou that i drive it's 6.5m so when i've got a full load of 4.28 saw logs its just under 10 cubes once you've deducted airspace. I'd do 8 loads a day so there must always be 80 cubes of space on the landing. Normally 2 forwarders chase a harvester so you need 160 cubes of space on the landing plus some space incase lorrys cant get there.

Also remember stack size restrictions! 2m in the UK i think. It's not like Finland where your pulp stack about 8m high!