Remedial action to this London planes rooting area.

Will Ayers

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1438294336.651037.jpg.9a93b9f182dc3a0bf520d4b2c819bd1a.jpg

So this tree is one of many on an industrial site which we have been asked to survey. I am not undertaking the survey personally, I have outsourced it to avoid a conflict of interest when I quote on the works arising from the survey. My Arb consultant wanted me to comment on the management of this one. The root area of this tree is obviously compromising the concrete and slabs etc around it. The tree itself is the only one visible from many windows so it's amenity is important, however management of the damage, and the risk it causes to pedestrians, is a must. We are wondering if it's viable to pick away the concrete and replace with something permeable and knee rail fence off the effected area.

What are your thoughts? Other than fell and grind :)

I know plane trees survive in central London with no rooting area exposed to permeable soil, that's not the issue here really.

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1438294310.785595.jpg.9f7bb2c324fc82beede91c2414caa2eb.jpg

As you say the root zone isn't necessary the concern here, it is the lifting of surfacing due caused by the incremental growth of the surface roots.

This is likely to happen regardless of the permeability of the surfacing. I assume a pavement/walk way of some sort needs to be there?

If so, you could recommend the construction of a slightly raised walkway supported by mini stanchions located between the roots. This would allow for the incremental growth of the main surface roots without distorting the surfacing.

This probably wouldn't work for the curb edgings though?!

Looks a bit narrow for a footway as it probably wouldn't be DDA compliant so could be open to criticism if something happened. I would think a 3D no dig solution would create problems with the levels but you could look into flexi pave if a path needs to be there. I've not looked into it in detail (been meaning to) but I believe its made from stone and recycled tires so actually flexes and has good green credentials while still being porous. May be worth a look.

I don't see a tripping hazard in the sidewalk itself, just that concrete block leading to the door. Either 1 lift and toss the whole thing 2 cut/break off the lifted corner and fill with gravel or 3 shave off the raised corner.

Is that an ISO container / temporary building to the rear of the tree? Difficult to see from picture.

If yes, perhaps an alternative position for it would (a) allow room to instal suitable clearances around the tree (b) prevent future root compromise problems and provide space for the tree to grow.

Sometimes the problem isn't the tree, but rather that which happens in close proximity to it.

Just a thought, would be great if it was that simple!

thanks for all of your replies. I think the amount of money these guys have paid on their survey alone would more than cover the costs of remedial action to this tree. So money might not be an object for these guys, however we have to be certain that what we are doing is benefitting the tree and that we are minimising risks to third parties with tripping in the pavement.

The "temporary" unit behind the tree looks like it has been there a decade and looks like it is there to stay. however I'm not sure this is detrimental to the tree, rather it is affording it some protection from one side while the other is open to mechanical damage from lorries and forklifts etc....

Im wondering wether to recommend placing bollards or a wrought iron fence or similar to keep people off this part of the path and otherwise leave the rooting area well alone.

Either way something needs to be done to remove the risk of tripping, perhaps my photos didn't show the path well enough but this old girl has put some good waves in it. I would hate the remedial action to be the removal of the tree as a few hundred windows overlook this tree in an otherwise barren part of the site.