Best cambium saver for zigzag

TIMON

Anyone got any advice for the best saver to use with zigzag set up?

I bought an edelrid rocka but can't get the sewn eye through the small ring on it.

I've always just thrown the rope over the limb and worked that way.

Now I'm getting more experienced in climbing I want to start using a saver and reduce the friction in my system.

I haven't mastered the throwline yet so I'm still "working" my way up to my main anchor but I would like it to be retrievable.

If anyone can tell me how they use the zigzag with a saver I'd be very appreciative...... Thanks

Timon

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If your sown eye is to fat to get through then I suggest a thinner rope, it will respond better with the zigzag, also get a Pully saver it costs more but will make climbing round a tree a total breeze:)

Thanks for this..... I'm on Yale "limelight" 11.7mm so I wouldn't want to go much thinner. Like the idea of a pulley saver but I've spent so much lately. Wondered if you can "home-make" something similar.

I've already got a pinto pulley.

Thanks mate,

Timon.

And the 11.7 dosnt fit through? I've never heard of that before only on 13mill Marlow. Stick with your rope then should be fine, and will fit a Pully saver. You could nock something up pretty easily but making it retrievable will be a pain, pinto rig, krab and a sling will work, tbh half of the time I climb back up and take out my Pully saver by hand, saves getting it stuck

And the 11.7 dosnt fit through? I've never heard of that before only on 13mill Marlow. Stick with your rope then should be fine, and will fit a Pully saver. You could nock something up pretty easily but making it retrievable will be a pain, pinto rig, krab and a sling will work, tbh half of the time I climb back up and take out my Pully saver by hand, saves getting it stuck

The plastic sleeve over the sewn Eve is the problem... I don't want to (carefully) remove it 'cos I've already taken the opposite end one off to get through the zigzag. I need to keep the plastic on to retain the "unique id no".. I might just rig something up.

Thanks

The plastic sleeve over the sewn Eve is the problem... I don't want to (carefully) remove it 'cos I've already taken the opposite end one off to get through the zigzag. I need to keep the plastic on to retain the "unique id no".. I might just rig something up.

Thanks

even if it won't go through the small ring on a cambium saver

surly it must go through the large ring in which case you can retrieve it

you rope needs to go unsliced end through the large ring first

or am i misunderstanding something here :confused1:

even if it won't go through the small ring on a cambium saver

surly it must go through the large ring in which case you can retrieve it

you rope needs to go unsliced end through the large ring first

or am i misunderstanding something here :confused1:

What it means is that once I have climbed up to my top anchor to install the saver. I'd have to completely dismantle my zigzag and pull the line through the saver then re-thread the zigzag. (Unless I'm missing something :) ) if I could just push the working end (sewn eye) through the small ring it would be easy. Just wondered if anyone else had encountered this and how they overcame it.

Thanks

What it means is that once I have climbed up to my top anchor to install the saver. I'd have to completely dismantle my zigzag and pull the line through the saver then re-thread the zigzag. (Unless I'm missing something :) ) if I could just push the working end (sewn eye) through the small ring it would be easy. Just wondered if anyone else had encountered this and how they overcame it.

Thanks

maybe just put a karabiner and pulley on the small ring if its a swing cheek the sewn end probably won't go through it on retrieval

job done

maybe just put a karabiner and pulley on the small ring if its a swing cheek the sewn end probably won't go through it on retrieval

job done

I see what you mean... But.. The Rocka small ring has a roller on it so it's not great sitting a krab on it. Might be better just getting a traditional saver or sucking it up and getting a pulley saver.

Thanks.

Timon