Recomissionining an old 010av

GJohn86

Afternoon all, first post.

I've recently obtained two spares or repairs Stihl 010avs. One was more complete so I've used that as the basis and robbed parts it was missing off the other one.

The fuel pipe wasn't fitted, so I've refitted that, which was a horrible task getting through the hole.

Reassembled and it's got good comates sion, pulls over nicely but wouldn't start. It looks like it has no spark. So I pulled the flywheel off and found its got points.

Anyway, my question is what should I do as a basic? So far I'm replacing the points with electronic, carb rebuild and a new bar/chain because the old ones were knackered.

Cheers

Gaz

Good to hear about the electronics rather than the points, I'd look at possibly changing the fuel pipes and impulse hose as they may be worn or weak around the fittings. I've had the same problem with an old saw before and I'd look at any AV mounts that need replacing

I've fitted a new ignition trigger module to an old saw ( 051 ) and it's brought new life to the saw I'm just waiting for some more modules to turn up for my 041 and 038 . the 041 has points and I'm hoping to use it for a mill saw.

Just got the new electronic ignition thingy. It says to cut the wire coming from the points, so I take it I can bin the whole points and backing plate etc? Or actually, on second thoughts I guess I'll have to keep some of it because it holds the contact for the kill switch.

The installation instructions for the igniton was laughable.

Gaz

IMG-20160905-WA0000.jpg.6bc07b94664d8e81dc583cb99b245ad3.jpg

Just got the new electronic ignition thingy. It says to cut the wire coming from the points, so I take it I can bin the whole points and backing plate etc? Or actually, on second thoughts I guess I'll have to keep some of it because it holds the contact for the kill switch.

The installation instructions for the igniton was laughable.

Gaz

That makes perfect sense. Cut the wire to the points and join it to the new ignitor, how is that laughable ? The wire to the kill switch stays where it was and earths the same as before. Just make sure the ignitor is well earthed.

Edited by peatff

• 1 month later...

Well, we've made some progress. I've got it all back together. Points and backing plate ditched. I had to jerry rig the kill switch contact but it seems OK. Bought and fitted a new 14" bar and chain.

The saw now starts *hurrah!*. But it cuts out under load or high revs. I'm thinking fuel starvation, the fuel filter was quite cruddy so I'll try a new one. And the pull cord is non orginal and is too thick so I'll replace that too.

Lovely to own a working Stihl saw though. When was the 010av made? I've read a few times that this thing could be 30 years old!!

Gaz

Turns out the screws were in the correct position. I tried running it without an air filter and also temporarily without a fuel filter to see if that sorted the running issues (neither did).

Now I'm getting a lot of unburnt fuel in the exhaust and it won't fire. It'll be worth trying a new spark plug I'm sure but it was sparking when I last checked. Not really sure what's going on now.

I do have a spare carb that I might try in case my rebuild messed with something.

Gaz

• 5 weeks later...

Right, so I've rebuilt the carb again. The saw is very hard to to start. I've tested compression which is showing 90psi which sounds low. But then I've read a lot on here about car/bike testers being unsuitable.

Is there anything else to test before looking at a cylinder/piston kit?

I forgot to mention it will start, but dies very quickly regardless of choke/throttle. I can only keep it running for sub 10 seconds.

Thanks,

Gaz