Question about cedar cladding

Rye Oil Ltd

Hi, I was hoping to get some advice from someone who has had some experience with Western Red Cedar Wood cladding.

We have been selling a UV resistance wood oil for some time and had loads of positive feedback. The oil is clear and is designed to keep the natural colour of the wood. We have had a customer use it on freshly milled wood and it has darkened the wood in patches.

597671f3ab765_TREATEDwood.jpg.10c000049273130fa7c2f8604eeec7a4.jpg

The pictures show before and after shots of the wood.

I know its difficult to tell from a photo but if anyone has got any ideas what may have happened I would very much appreciate the input.

Thanks

Jon

Rye Oil Ltd

It's difficult to say, but it looks like it's most discoloured around that tall, thin window.

I wonder if someone has done some grinding or metal cutting in that area when the window or roof flashing went in, or whether plaster dust or cement has got on the timber. All of these can cause a colour reaction with Western Red (and tannin rich timbers like Oak).

It looks to be very slow grown Canadian or American Western Red Cedar. That is pretty much guaranteed to have been shipped over as kiln dried boards. So the fresh 'milling' is likely to mean it's been recently tongue and grooved, rather than sawn green/ wet from the log.