The time has come!

Forest2Furniture

Just my opinion, but I looked at all the usual mill manufacturers and went for a Lumbermate.

They are very well built, decent capacity and spares backup from a UK dealer.

Mine has a 23hp engine and I would say that whatever mill you opt for, get the largest engine power available. You will not regret that. I often cut wide boards and, even with a sharp band, it can take some effort.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a good look at the main players at this years APF.

All but one of the stands was manned by booted & suited sales rep types who knew all the technical stuff but not much hands on experience.

The one company that was manned by users was Woodland Mills.

The UK distributer Chris was there and happy to chat & demonstrate the machine, he uses one all the time and gave an honest (if not biased) appraisal of the machine.

The Woodland HM126 was my second choice, after a lot of deliberation.

The flexing can be eliminated by mounting the whole thing on a frame of say 100x50x3 rectangular steel section.

If you wanted it mobile, the trailer drawings Woodland supply also take most of the flex out. Either way, the mill will be far sturdier with some kind of frame to mount it on and make what is a lightly-built mill into something far superior.

Also, if a choice is offered, buy the biggest engine available.

Edited by Ilnumero
added text

Have a think what you are going to do with it. For using around the yard a cheaper make will be ok, especially if you have something to load. For going out doing milling work, in my opinion the lt40 is probly the best contractors saw on the market as it is so versatile, light enough to be towed with a small pickup, the cantilevered head means you can mill a larger log than a double post mill.

However WM parts backup is terrible and really lets the brand down.