Yield and saleability.

TheHungrySquirrel

Cheers for that sir.

The rate were getting doesn't seem great and even with a burner I can't get a chain in quicker than 2 days.

I can't see how you can cut, stack and hand burn the wood any faster??

I tried to get down Sussex last year but staying away from home for 6 months doesn't really appeal to me and I also have my spoon/bowl business to keep running.

As for buying from individuals I don't have a clue how to link a woodland I can see to who owns it and how much to pay.

Speak to the local farmer/s, chances are the woodland is either his, part of his lease or he knows who the neighbor/owner is.

Much easier to spot a farmer in a 200hp tractor than come across the right person walking their dog in their own woodland. :lol:

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr squirrel,

There could be a possible third way.

Maybe use your experience and try some conservation work. The day rate won't be great around £150. But they will be looking for other qualities than just product production. Good site management thoughtful extraction and even desposal of brash i.e on burning platforms.

Then offen as a sweetener you can buy the product at a reduced rate.

Also if you do a good job you can get on preferred contractors lists and have the opportunity to go for larger contacts that may tie in with your firewood aspirations.

Anyway good luck!

James.

Speak to the local farmer/s, chances are the woodland is either his, part of his lease or he knows who the neighbor/owner is.

Much easier to spot a farmer in a 200hp tractor than come across the right person walking their dog in their own woodland. :lol:

So true, they all have grant funded shiny new tractors around here.

Mr squirrel,

There could be a possible third way.

Maybe use your experience and try some conservation work. The day rate won't be great around £150. But they will be looking for other qualities than just product production. Good site management thoughtful extraction and even desposal of brash i.e on burning platforms.

Then offen as a sweetener you can buy the product at a reduced rate.

Also if you do a good job you can get on preferred contractors lists and have the opportunity to go for larger contacts that may tie in with your firewood aspirations.

Anyway good luck!

James.

£150 a day would be like winning the lottery for me.

I have had an ongoing thing trying to get work with Tilhill since September, I had to have extra insurance and fisa membership and no work. Finally spoke to the guy for my area today to be told there's no grant money so no thinning or ride work this year unless I have machinery.

The other people I have tried is strut and Parker and the wildlife trust who tell me there's no need for cutters here.

Be nice to get a break soon.