Yield and saleability.

TheHungrySquirrel

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

After spending the past few years cutting firewood/chestnut coppice for people and not making any money I'm looking to try and buy some standing timber.

My problem is do I get firewood or chestnut for fencing?

I have the skills to process fencing and make decorative work with it but equally cutting and selling firewood roadside sounds appealing to me aswell.

Do any of you forestry worker have rough (I know it's hard to give estimates) ton to acre rates??

Firstly, if you're not making money cutting chestnut for other people then there is one of two things going wrong.

Either,

1. The guy employing you is not paying you a fair piece-rate, or the gear you're being told to cut is too poor to get enough product to make your wage.

OR

2. Your cutting isn't up to a speed that will make you money- in which case you'l probably struggle to cut enough tonnage to make buying timber yourself pay.

I speak from experience here, I currently migrate 600miles south to Sussex in October every year to cut chestnut for a contractor on piece rate.

I know its a gold mine until March! :thumbup1:

As for tonnage/ acre in clear fell chestnut we reckon 100-150ton/arce comfortably. I've thinned Birch, Ash and Beech at anywhere between 10-80ton an Acre it all varies a huge amount between woodlands.

I'd be careful of the commission, better approaching individual land/woodland owners directly with a proposal to buy, cut, extract etc.

Good Luck.

Firstly, if you're not making money cutting chestnut for other people then there is one of two things going wrong.

Either,

1. The guy employing you is not paying you a fair piece-rate, or the gear you're being told to cut is too poor to get enough product to make your wage.

OR

2. Your cutting isn't up to a speed that will make you money- in which case you'l probably struggle to cut enough tonnage to make buying timber yourself pay.

I speak from experience here, I currently migrate 600miles south to Sussex in October every year to cut chestnut for a contractor on piece rate.

I know its a gold mine until March! :thumbup1:

As for tonnage/ acre in clear fell chestnut we reckon 100-150ton/arce comfortably. I've thinned Birch, Ash and Beech at anywhere between 10-80ton an Acre it all varies a huge amount between woodlands.

I'd be careful of the commission, better approaching individual land/woodland owners directly with a proposal to buy, cut, extract etc.

Good Luck.

Cheers for that sir.

The rate were getting doesn't seem great and even with a burner I can't get a chain in quicker than 2 days.

I can't see how you can cut, stack and hand burn the wood any faster??

I tried to get down Sussex last year but staying away from home for 6 months doesn't really appeal to me and I also have my spoon/bowl business to keep running.

As for buying from individuals I don't have a clue how to link a woodland I can see to who owns it and how much to pay.

Oh yea, burning up is bad news.

I don't think the margins are there for burning up on piece-rate.

Fortunately not a demon I have to wrestle with.

What sort of rate would you think with the hand burning would be right??

Is it just fell and product length then for you??