Sub contracting for company owners.

adbat234

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I think that you would be stupid to do it. As you will be fully aware chainsaws are dangerous. Many experienced users have hurt themselves and will continue to do so. Accidents happen, thats why we have insurance. In your situation you could lose everything, so why bother for a few hundred quid. It sounds like they are not insured either. Big risk IMO.

I've also got a bit of a gripe that I am fully insured and have to compete with people like yourselves without any insurance - one of my big expenses if the tree work doesn't pay to be properly qualified and insured somethings not going right.

IMO what you should be doing in your situation is pricing the job and subbing it to a properly setup tree firm.

Just my tuppence.

R

P.S I do understand that most of us will have done a job at somepoint that were not fully covered for, but when your involving others the risks just aren't worth it.

I really do understand your opinion on the insurance matters and how your costs are ramped up by having to pay for such things. Like i said i do this part time and would be in negative equity by paying for insurance for the ammount of work i get at the mo by paying a high insurance premium ie£1550 a year to climb and PL. Im just starting and need to build up steam before luxuries such as a good insurance policy (No sarcasm intended) are within my budget. Im trying to expand but have mouths to feed also , In a nut shell the gamble could lead on to bigger and better and as long as im not breaking the law i will give it a try. Am i legal insurance wise???

Its not "law". Take in the risk and decide if its worth doing, and how well you trust these guys you are gettting in. The fact they have some tickets is good but irrelevant without insurance, so are they safe guys with tickets or unsafe guys with tickets?

What do you do for work the rest of the time?

The guys i am looking to give the work to are lads who are out of work due to gordon browns mistakes. They are good safe lads with many years of experience under their belts who will graft to gain future work. Also all correct PPE is worn and work not rushed for any extra incentive. Im now a firefighter so know too well about mistakes and safety in the workplace. Its woodland work they would be tidying and it would have to be a major f##k up for anything to go wrong really. Im not ignorant to the fact that things can and do, However risk assessment would throw this as low every time.