Sub contracting for company owners.

adbat234

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa Whoa Whoa i feel im being ganged up on here. Im just trying to get a foot on the ladder so to speak and it seems that the "up myself" comment means i have innadvertedley offended you in some way. Many appologies if if you have read into something i have written the wrong way as i can assure you i meant no offence. My wifes car was written off by an uninsured driver 4 years ago, a taxi driver who was trying to make ends meet. There is allways more to a story than surface appearance. Apologies once again.

Nobodys ganging up on you, you asked a question you got the answers you didn't really want to hear IMO. As for the write off, were you fully comp and just suffer loss of no claims, imagine how much worse it could have been??? What's your opinion of him being uninsured??

Then there's the saying what comes around goes around.

As for the making ends meet, sorry but firefighters get a reasonable wage, certainly enough to live on, if your living beyond your means then you need a solution, nothing against that.

Nuff said don't want to be bullying anyone.........

No ones offended I'm sure. Just having a say so. We are right you shouldn't do work with no insurance. You are takign work away from others in the same way your taxi driver was taking money off other drivers, its wrong and theres no way round that.

The uninsured driver was working to make ends meet from what i can gather. He visited my house (bit unnerving to begin with) and expressed a regret that i believed and appologised many times. Who am i to judge why he did what he did. He broke the law knowingly. I wont.

Ok pissing people off is not what I or we want to do so sorry to offend.

But, Legally you must have Employers liability for what you do and ethically you should have public liability.

Just dont take offence if someone will do your job cheaper than you since it is to just get a bit more money in.

Jeez im beggining to wish i never posted. What im saying is if i am breaking thew law it will NOT be done. I am a straight guy. I wont endanger people the wrong side of the law. Has a firefighter upset people on here before, gee whizz.

If I were you I'd do the job by yourself, that way your not breaking the law, and you can be fully resposible for the job going right, would save a lot of bother.

I started off in grounds maintenance, used to sub all tree work out to a bona fide sub contracter. Now I do it in house with subbie climbers, but they are only subbie for tax and NI purposes, when they are on my job they're my responsibilty. This meant there was no need to potentially get myself into trouble. It is possibly to do it the correct way, but it does require patience and hard work.

Honestly not trying to knock you but you've asked a question that affects peoples livelihoods. Were you on strike? Similar thing........

Edited by ukminch

nothing to do with being a firefighter mate, i deleted my comment saying 'up yourself' but obviously too late. so i apologise. the no insurance thing is a big thorn in our sides. we bust our guts paying all our business bills and usually this means going without i other parts of our lives, well it has with me at some point.. you posted asking for advice, we are giving you it, it isnt what you want to hear, but hey thats life. i would of thought in your job you would see what can happen accidentally more than anyone. even if the insurance is 1500quid a year, that snot even 30quid a week, pay it in monthly instalments, they will want another 6% for this, if you get a credit card with zero% interest then stick it on that, there are ways. if you are earning at the weekends and getting work then this is buttons in the grand scale of things. there might be other guys on the forum that are in your position and maybe agree with what you are doing, you just got us guys that do the most posting, and you have got off lightly tbh, there are guys on here just now that are really struggling to hold their business together, they will be paying wages and ALL their bills and i bet they wont be taking any wages from themselves and running in big overdrafts. no bullying here. just honesty:001_smile: