working over an asbestos roof?

flatyre

It's not asbestos roofing though. It's concrete fibre. Some of it contains asbestos but not all. As far as I know, the type of asbestos (white) is far less dangerous than the blue stuff they used in insulation situations. The fibres are longer and don't catch easily in the lung. Given that most sheets are probably damp right through anyway. Might be an idea to hose it down first but I think in general, concrete fibre roofs are a money maker for the asbestos boys and not dangerous at all. God knows, my family have broken up enough over the years, cut slots in for ventilation with no masks etc. and nobody has not made it past 80 in my family yet.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Genuinely I would avoid the work. A few quid for the risk is not worth it.

That's a pretty defeatist attitude - it's pretty much been agreed there's neglible "asbestos" risk- so are you saying you'll only do work with no targets?

Genuinely I would avoid the work. A few quid for the risk is not worth it.

Like others have said they're really is no risk from the asbestous, if the roof does contain it) doing tree surgery work.

The only real risk is dropping something on the roof as can be brittle or soft but as someone said earlier just treat as a green/glass house.

When u think off the job u will be working 6-10ft above the roof in fresh air and never really coming into contact with it.

Potentially more risk using it as a rain shelter or sharpening ur saw inside it, yet no one masks up to work insde sheds like that which are still very common.