Cavity-borne Rigidoporus ulmarius

Kveldssanger

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I absolutely agree with this point Gary - often far too much felling is done just to be on the safe side and is often completely unnecessary.

I don't have a spare £20K to buy you a picus, but I may have some information that you could use. I will PM you over the weekend.

You're a good man.

I was going to message you at some point. A horticultural contractor I know has a friend/client who's purchasing a property at Cockermouth and is going to need a arborist at some point. Do you know any one that way.

The property has woodland TPO's as well as individual tree orders by the sound of it. I'm trying to promote the use of an expert to deal with the planning when the time comes because it sounds complicated. Is it something you'd be interested in and if so can I pass your number on?

Sorry Chris for the derail:blushing:

Please could you share the information that you have on the forum? As I'm sure there are lots of us that would be interested.

Hello Paul,

Its just some light reading on Wagener, t/R etc. Although not a Picus, may help give insights in key situations where without other means, you can still get some reasonable insights instead of condemning another tree to becoming firewood.

I can post it on here too, but this may become a major derail, so perhaps another thread...

I know what you mean Gary, and to be honest I agree. I am however responsible for these trees, and without an infinite arsenal of kit at my immediate disposal I have to go with what I think is best in the short and long term. I'm not felling the tree completely - it'll remain as a standing stem of quite some height, and will re-sprout. The decaying habitat remains. It sits between a very busy petrol station and a housing development, and is in falling distance of both. The one next to it went through a car, and I am simply not confident that justifying not doing anything is OK here, and if I were to prune it then it'd be on a two-year cycle (most probably) and would have to eventually be managed to more of a stem anyway. It's making the decision that balances everything (including risk perception, which is very much the case here for residents, though also ecology). Deadwood will be piled at the base, so nothing goes off site. In fact, the nutrients will go back into the soil from where the nutrients were taken.

I have another case I found today, too. Even better. By a roundabout! Same course of action, really. Some cracking shots here.

Hybrid black pop again. One next to it is nasty as well, so that's also becoming a low stem. Again, all wood piled around the base (or in a nearby hedgerow). Will probably seek to re-plant with a different tree species as well, nearby (probably a couple of common alder). That way, there's a continued regeneration (albeit, the poplar stems remain).

If these were of a different species, with a stronger wood (inherently), then I would probably not do what I am doing here. No disrespect to poplars, but there are so many in completely the wrong locations, and they're all starting to fall apart after 40-60 years. Give it another 5-10 years as we'll be a hub of Rigidoporus ulmarius-infected poplars.

Edited by Kveldssanger

Hello Paul,

Its just some light reading on Wagener, t/R etc. Although not a Picus, may help give insights in key situations where without other means, you can still get some reasonable insights instead of condemning another tree to becoming firewood.

I can post it on here too, but this may become a major derail, so perhaps another thread...

Nah share it here. Not a derail - still on the topic of fungi.

Gary, you haven't derailed it. Don't apologise. ;)