Horse Chestnut dissection

Peter

The foliage was sparse, but it was still alive. What I dont know is whether there were more Gano fbs that were removed, and the little ones were the last gasp, or maybe the ones I saw were it.

The more I think about it the less likely honey fungus becomes....

• 3 months later...

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ganoderma is australe, the decay being the dead giveaway, see my thread the ganoderma thread for similar image. The rot being white and aggresive penetration of barrier formations. the little dead fungi are most likley something saprotrophic, look at the ridges in the caps on dessication? unlike dried Armillaria sp

Oh i love this place!

nice pictures mate , how tall was the tree and what size was the canopy spread ?? im only curious because im interested in the corolation betwene the they various types of fungal fruiting bodies and there impact on the tree and Mattheck's theory of TR=0.3 . its interesting how some FFB's affect a trees structure to the point of collapse and some FFB's that are just as agressive and do not cause the tree to fail for a much greater period of time .

nice pictures mate , how tall was the tree and what size was the canopy spread ?? im only curious because im interested in the corolation betwene the they various types of fungal fruiting bodies and there impact on the tree and Mattheck's theory of TR=0.3 . its interesting how some FFB's affect a trees structure to the point of collapse and some FFB's that are just as agressive and do not cause the tree to fail for a much greater period of time .

i will go through my images and do a full series of the tree and felling, might take some finding though so bare with me!

Its all about the wieght above the decay, the residual wall thickness and the type of decay i.e soft/simaltanious/ white or brown rot.

Soft rot will leave the tree stiff but not strong, white and simaltaneous rot enables the tree to sense extra stress and form VTA symptoms.

matthecks TR ratios are for a full crowned unpruned tree you get that though dont you? pruning reduces the impact of decay considerably.

i will go through my images and do a full series of the tree and felling, might take some finding though so bare with me!

Its all about the wieght above the decay, the residual wall thickness and the type of decay i.e soft/simaltanious/ white or brown rot.

Soft rot will leave the tree stiff but not strong, white and simaltaneous rot enables the tree to sense extra stress and form VTA symptoms.

matthecks TR ratios are for a full crowned unpruned tree you get that though dont you? pruning reduces the impact of decay considerably.

yeah i understand that his TR ratios are for a tree with a full and un pruned crown . what got me looking at his ratio and how it coresponds with various pathogens in different ways , im not really to hot on my Fungi but am really keen to expand my knowlege much further and also my knowlege of the reactions of different species of tree have to different fungi .

so far i have seen that the TR ratios do differ from tree species to tree species and also that where cavities are present that they too can make a massive difference ie: that if the cavity within a tree is larger than the stem radius then the TR ratio will be greatly reduced .

yeah i understand that his TR ratios are for a tree with a full and un pruned crown . what got me looking at his ratio and how it coresponds with various pathogens in different ways , im not really to hot on my Fungi but am really keen to expand my knowlege much further and also my knowlege of the reactions of different species of tree have to different fungi .

so far i have seen that the TR ratios do differ from tree species to tree species and also that where cavities are present that they too can make a massive difference ie: that if the cavity within a tree is larger than the stem radius then the TR ratio will be greatly reduced .

How can a cavity be larger than the radius? Im not sure what your meaning here?

its took me a minute to get all this!

I know what your saying now.

I too am interested in the various TR ratios, and fungal decay types and tree/fungi combinations. The most interesting examples i find are the completley hollowed out trees at burnham, beeches riddled with inonotus cuticularis. White rotting causing the wood to sink and fold creating some very unique trees to this wood.