courses

Bird

Seems steep to me. I might be missing something but for around £2000 you can do cs30,31,38,39 at Kingswood training in Kent in about 2 weeks. Tree ID's you can learn from books and walking through woodlands etc. same for the science of trees.

Yes maybe you can learn that stuff from books but that wouldn't get you a job as junior consultant or tree officer. You wouldn't even get an interview. A level 3 qualification would at least get you an interview, maybe. L4 would be better.

You could just do the chainsaw and climbing tickets like starscream said and do your L2 certificate while you are working. Then go to L4 and L6 over the year if you wanted to.

My currently planned route is ;

• basic tickets (CS 30/31, 38, 39, and chipper et.al)
  • lvl 2 ABC/RFS with Myerscough
  • work experience with local arbs

That's where I'm at now, and it's going well so far. CS38 this coming week, CS39 will be booked thereafter with the other certs filling in the gaps while I get experience over the next year or so.

• full time work within arb.
  • undertake the lvl 4 in sept 2017.
  • look at and research the lvl6.
  • live happily ever after.

Ultimately I'm aiming for surveying & consultancy though, so my end goal may differ from the OP's — but even the lvl 2 so far has been an eye opener.

Edited by diervek

Yes maybe you can learn that stuff from books but that wouldn't get you a job as junior consultant or tree officer. You wouldn't even get an interview. A level 3 qualification would at least get you an interview, maybe. L4 would be better.

Ah, fair enough. I did say I might be missing something!! Stretching out learning with experience isn't always a bad thing, we get some guys turn up with loads of quals but unfortunatley aren't any good at the job; on the flip side some of our best workers have nothing behind them but an unparalleled hunger and drive to earn money and succeed because life didn't deal them a hand where they were able to afford any courses etc, making them far more enthusiastic and persistent.

My currently planned route is ;

• basic tickets (CS 30/31, 38, 39, and chipper et.al)
  • lvl 2 ABC/RFS with Myerscough
  • work experience with local arbs

That's where I'm at now, and it's going well so far. CS38 this coming week, CS39 will be booked thereafter with the other certs filling in the gaps while I get experience over the next year or so.

• full time work within arb.
  • undertake the lvl 4 in sept 2017.
  • look at and research the lvl6.
  • live happily ever after.

Ultimately I'm aiming for surveying & consultancy though, so my end goal may differ from the OP's — but even the lvl 2 so far has been an eye opener.

Sounds like a plan and pretty much what I did although you are fast tracking more than I did. I did L2 and chainsaw/climbing tickets in 1998, tech cert in 2005, and L6 in 2012. It helps if you have the experience as you work your way up. Definitely with L6.

Ah, fair enough. I did say I might be missing something!! Stretching out learning with experience isn't always a bad thing, we get some guys turn up with loads of quals but unfortunatley aren't any good at the job; on the flip side some of our best workers have nothing behind them but an unparalleled hunger and drive to earn money and succeed because life didn't deal them a hand where they were able to afford any courses etc, making them far more enthusiastic and persistent.

I agree. I don't get that question about experience or qualifications that people ask. Why not both with a bit of work ethic thrown in. Job done.