AA Registered Consultant

Betula

I have a question about becoming an AA Registered Consultant.

This is the level that I am aiming towards becoming but wanted to know if members here think it's worth it. This isn't a dig at the AA or me being cheap but the total cost from AA membership, the assessment fees, annual scheme management fees as well as CPD costs looks to be well over £1000 per year. Which is a lot of money.

I know that as a top level consultant you need to be up to date and the forefront of the industry and that money spent would be made back from a few reports but I know of plenty of consultants who aren't registered consultants but are still at a very high level.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks,

I have a question about becoming an AA Registered Consultant.

This is the level that I am aiming towards becoming but wanted to know if members here think it's worth it. This isn't a dig at the AA or me being cheap but the total cost from AA membership, the assessment fees, annual scheme management fees as well as CPD costs looks to be well over £1000 per year. Which is a lot of money.

I know that as a top level consultant you need to be up to date and the forefront of the industry and that money spent would be made back from a few reports but I know of plenty of consultants who aren't registered consultants but are still at a very high level.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Hi Betula, can I suggest in canvassing views, always very useful, you also make contact with a few AARCs and seek theirs too.

Cheers..

Paul

PS Along with my main role in managing the ARB Approved Contractor Scheme I am also part of the AA team managing the RC Scheme.

I spoke with Dave Dowson about this a year or so ago when I had just finished my L6. He said he gets calls every week from people who want a report from a registered consultant.

His advice to me was that over the next 5 years I should aim to get chartered arb, expert witness and AA reg consultant. His logic was I will be 45 by then and so have 20 years working at the top of the industry which in itself is rewarding but you would also be earning a good living. Based on that I am not concerned about the membership fee.

Another point worth considering is that his mortgage reports cost 65% more than mine so that soon pays off your costs I would think.

On the flipside, I read somewhere that Arbtech turned over £1m last year and they are not reg consultants so it depends on your objectives. Pure money vs. professional recognition.

I personally prefer the reg consultant route and will be aiming for that. If and when I get the time that is.

Good luck.

Cheers

Interesting comment regarding the mortgage report there Chris. They are meant to be a licensed product, and part of the terms of the licence are that they are at a set price - no matter who writes them.

So just a guess, are DD's prices in the region of £490?

Never heard that one before about the licenced product. Where is that from? Is that the one Dealga runs? I have done the mortgage course through CAS and treelife and neither mentioned a fixed price. In fact the CAS one talked about a band of between x and y, cant remember the exact figures.

I would prefer not to discuss DD's prices although he does freely do so himself on the course but I did one a few weeks ago where a company had quoted £500 plus the VAT. There was about 8 trees so less than an hour onsite. maybe half a day with writing up and travel.

Cheers

Having done the CAS course with Jon Heuch a year or two ago there was no mention of any kind of licence. Could it be the old AMUIG? As for price, it's based on my day rate, and can vary a lot depending on travel and number of trees etc - same as any other report...