Fungi ID ?

Roz

While walking between sites today I took a couple of pics, all on declining Horse chestnut, or within the root zone. As my fungi ID is rusty to say the least - one is Ganoderma but not sure which, any ideas on the two others?

59766e27cd70d_Unkowna1.jpg.5983f5abab909585845f3e714fb7e8d6.jpg

59766e27cb0e4_Unknownb2.jpg.037048cc2db77b88d873a0cc3e9f8d4c.jpg

59766e27c8669_HCwithGanodermsspunknown.jpg.f097f1932f36418716d3ddf1c94d2b86.jpg

While walking between sites today I took a couple of pics, all on declining Horse chestnut, or within the root zone. As my fungi ID is rusty to say the least - one is Ganoderma but not sure which, any ideas on the two others?

Hello Roz,

It's always very difficult to determine which species of Ganoderma you have in front of you.

The brown spore is obviously confirmation of the genus, but as for which species you really need to look at additional characteristics.

I think that your brackets will be one of three species.

G. applanatum, G, australe or G. resinaceum.

If they are hard perennial type brackets then they will be either of the first two (there are annecdotal ways to identify between the two, but only true way is to have a mycologist look at the shape and size of the spores)

If your brackets are soft and annual then it's likely to be the last option.

Taking a slice will also help as the first two will have dark brown flesh and tubes whereas G. resinaceum will have a lighter coloured flesh.

See the fungi directory galleries above for images.

Although they don't particularly 'look' right, my hunch is G. resinaceum.

Oops.

No need for that Chris as we all make presumptions.

But good to rule out species when there are good images like the ones above which show a number of key features like, cap variation, stem type and colour of gills (spore)

Coprinus is a good call for the last one with C. impatiens being a good shout :thumbup1:

You say G. resinaceum...

Now I initially thought the top one was resinaceum and the bottom applanatum / australe. I'm not sure if the leaf (?) on the top bracket is throwing me off, however. My focus was more on the bottom bracket.

Can you get some closer photos, at all, please?

With the honey fungus I was too quick to look at the upper colour of the cap. I must learn to look at the cap as a whole, and not 'cherry-pick' specific traits and assume.

In time!

Actually, looking at the top bracket I agree - G. resinaceum. You can see some of the senescent bracket (is this the right term to use?) from last year (or this?) around the middle region.

Armillaria have white gills when they are the same stage of development as the ones in the second image Chris.

I find that the absence of a partial veil ring on the stem rules out Armillaria, except A. tabescens but it has scales on the centre of the cap even when young.

I also look for gill attachment. Armillaria is generally decurrent or adnate, whereas the ones in the second picture are free or verging on adnexed.

Not trying to tell you this stuff David, just posting my methods for the wider audience to consider.

Edited by daltontrees