Arb Assoc'-

Bundle 2

So thanks for your comments.

: Sadly I have to go to work but i'll add to this later !

I have this 'discussion' about Further Education with my older peers. Ultimately their view is that their years of experience at the coalface should count for something - that their time served should be recognised, their achievements in the industry respected.

They can never describe it better than that - and its the detail that decides.

There is provision in most courses for 'Accreditation of Prior Learning', that is to say, if you can demonstrate you have a up to date comprehensive knowledge of a certain part of the syllabus, then you may not have to be assessed for that module.

Therefore Further Education gives you the oppourtunity to demonstrate how your experience aids your learning. If you can explain how it relates to the syllabus.

Vague comments about puddings and personal effectiveness don't cut it.

I guess its a generational thing.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have this 'discussion' about Further Education with my older peers. Ultimately their view is that their years of experience at the coalface should count for something - that their time served should be recognised, their achievements in the industry respected.

They can never describe it better than that - and its the detail that decides.

There is provision in most courses for 'Accreditation of Prior Learning', that is to say, if you can demonstrate you have a up to date comprehensive knowledge of a certain part of the syllabus, then you may not have to be assessed for that module.

Therefore Further Education gives you the oppourtunity to demonstrate how your experience aids your learning. If you can explain how it relates to the syllabus.

Vague comments about puddings and personal effectiveness don't cut it.

I guess its a generational thing.

Thx ever so much for clearing that up

I'll sleep so much better now ...

Edited by Yorkshireman

so where does my NA in Arb fit in then? what would I have to do to become AA approved or affilated??? What course would I have to get onto next?

Stuart...did you not read my post earlier in this thread cos i have listed all those qualifications regarded as level3 and so elligible for Techical membership...

With respect the place an NA (?) ...please see here for a list (the AA's own ) of what means what...

Leaflet "A Guide to Qualifications & Careers in Arboriculture 2006" Page Selector

They list NCH as level3 but then you discover , only certain awarding bodies..the reason? I am yet none the wiser despite this thread!!:confused1:

Perhaps you should look at the AA website or request an info pack from them....

Arboricultural Association Website - Home Page

I am wondering what the deal is with the AA's grading of their membership levels..

In particular...I hold what I have hitherto regarded as two level 3 qualifications

1: NCH-Landscape

2:NCH-Arboriculture

Both of these are City & Guilds....apparently only BTEC/Edexcel is acceptable ...Whats the difference?

cant say for certain with out my referance in front of me but i think you will find that the C&G was graded as a level 2 on the qualifications scale and ed xl and btec were definatly at level 3, there is also a complication with work experince eliments

cheak on your certs see what they say

hope that helps

kev

"cheak on your certs see what they say"

I have indeed "cheeked" on my certs and they say nowt about the level at which it is graded...

it wouldnt surprise me to learn that the level has been downgraded perhaps...I admit it was taken from my understanding from the AA guide to quals etc but as we know, that is not specific and so misleading...but as we also know, there may well be plans to upgrade the AATech Cert to a level 4...Perhaps they just do what they like!

I am starting to lose interest in the minutiae of it all any way... Its a generational thing.