Arb Assoc'-

Bundle 2

I am wondering what the deal is with the AA's grading of their membership levels..

In particular...I hold what I have hitherto regarded as two level 3 qualifications

1: NCH-Landscape

2:NCH-Arboriculture

Both of these are City & Guilds....apparently only BTEC/Edexcel is acceptable ...Whats the difference?

I have worked in the industry since my first NCH in 1996...I have a number of NPTC units,Chapter 8 , IPAF and I am also AA/LANTR-PTI qualified yet I find myself excluded from AA membership at Technician level....

I notice a alot of prospective employers are today citing membership of, in particular , the AA as a suitable professional affiliation....

I would like to better understand the sculpting of the AA's criteria if atall possible. :blink:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sent off for the details of their membership scheme a few months ago as I thought membership at technical level would be a move forward. The details arrived and basically I had to list every qualification to date and a detailed history of work to date, complete with a letter stating why I thought of myself eligible for AA Technical membership.

It gave the impression of me being put before a board so they can sift through my details and decide whether or not I’m good enough to join the old boys club. I’m too busy for this nonsense.

Thanks but no thanks. I’ll stick to the ISA.

I sent off for the details of their membership scheme a few months ago as I thought membership at technical level would be a move forward. The details arrived and basically I had to list every qualification to date and a detailed history of work to date, complete with a letter stating why I thought of myself eligible for AA Technical membership.

It gave the impression of me being put before a board so they can sift through my details and decide whether or not I’m good enough to join the old boys club. I’m too busy for this nonsense.

Thanks but no thanks. I’ll stick to the ISA.

Unbelievable...............................:angry:

On a more serious note, and in a slightly more productive answer to your question......

The old C&G quals, are "sort of" not worth much any more. (and I DO mean SORT OF, before anyone rips me to pieces!!)

C&G is now in partnership with NPTC, and as such the quals are unfortunately deemed as more of a "vocational" level/type of qualification, with the BTEC/Edexcel quals being seen as more "academic" level/type. (just look at what the ND Arb is worth nowadays)

In theory though, level 3, is level 3, is level 3, and "grandfather rights" should sort of apply...... but unfortunately this is more often than not, not so. (trust me... i did my NCH Arb at M/wood in '94, and i've had exactly the same probs)

Hence why the AA came up with their own level 4 qual.... the TechCert.

Basically, this did away with the AAs need to "interpret" the changes that've been made over recent years to the qual grading by the education authorities, and therefore allow the AA to standardise the entry requirements, without any inherent risk of allowing a lower accredited skill/knowledge level, to darken their doorstep.

Similar basis to way that the RFS Prof Dip, is now seen as THE entry level qual for consultancy.

Long and short of it is, you wanna join at Tech level.... you gotta do their qual. :thumbdown: