Retrenchment Images

David Humphries

re AOD fwiw How can we give relief, to an infected or damaged area? The 6X Protocol was designed with this question in mind:

 EXpose the affected area: Clear away obstructions like grass and other weeds, mulch, or soil.

 EXcavate loose decayed tissue Clean away any dead or foreign matter. If tissue is living but infected, give the tree the benefit of the doubt. Drying alone can be enough to speed CODIT.

 EXcise respecting the barriers: Cut into living tissue only if you are certain it is justified. If the pathogen is aggressive and the tree defenseless, or if collecting samples for laboratory analysis, then living tissue is cut away.

 EXamine strength and weakness, like columns, and active infections.

 EXtract information by recording images and measurements, to reach a definite diagnosis, and mitigation options. According to the ZTV: “Before contracts begin, a definite diagnosis.”

EXhaustive specifications are written and illustrated, to implement

mitigation options and carry out the work. These include trunk drenching with minerals like phosphorous acid, growth regulators such as Paclobutrazol, and prochloraz, which is approved for management of Armillaria in the UK. Prochloraz is “a mixture comprising a combination of a phenyl amide fungicide; an imidazole fungicide; and a phthalimide containing fungicide, wherein the composition has a synergistically enhanced activity” (patent application).

Other compounds such as salicylic acid also work, which is why willow bark is spread under apple trees with scab. per Percival, 2 months ago.

Soil replacement below the infected area also can help a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

............. I'm not sure that Mr Humphries request for retrenchment images would be much of a defence to the Midlands Traffic Division:biggrin:

Ha, you should have tried giving it a go, my influence with the powers that be extends far and wide, Lol ! :biggrin:

Couple of different stage retrenching oaks from arable fields in Suffolk........

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1446142634.710651.jpg.d81c1e5d619d2fcb2c61b46d1a7f2eb6.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1446142662.370047.jpg.fc7fe68fcca77a7bf9e70e9fc7553352.jpg.

Yes, as you might be able to see, I reduced the overextended laterals by about 5-6m and then just did a very minimal reduction on the top. I think the plan is to monitor and implement a management program. Unfortunately I don't work for the company any more! As much I would love to have my job back!! 😔😔

Yes that was light the first go-round. Unless the objective is not related to the tree itself, how deep to go next time should be dictated by the response of the tree, imo, rather than firmly proscribed by man.

Nice pic that last David--3 crowns in one tree!

• 2 weeks later...