Part time working...

adamc1678

Hello Guys,

Been reading this forum for a few weeks now and I have to say I've learnt a lot just by reading all the various threads and post's some of my questions have already been answered from reading historical threads.. similiar to the question that I'm about to ask really but given that the economy and times have moved on I feel that I have to ask it again as previous posts are out dated...

I currently work in a none arb related industry... working a 10 week shift pattern which often means I get two - three days off each week. Im fortunate in that I dont need to provide a salary from this additional work, it really would be pocket money something to spring board to something bigger..

I am considering purchasing a stump grinder, operating in the midlands area within an 80 mile radius and hopefully working with local tree surgeons on an adhoc basis. I except that things take a while to ramp up but I would book the work in for my rest days as it were. The benefit being, I dont work in the sector so wouldn't be poaching work!! although I would have a fully e-commerced site offering the various tree services which I would then forward leads on to the providers of the majority of my stumping work.. I would only require a day per week to make this a viable venture... enough to cover the ex's and pay myself a nice pt wage.

I intend to purchase a pedestrian rayco or carlton machine from new, PLI insurance, NPTC stump grinding course and a trailer to move the machine about..together with a local and yellow pages advertising budget..

I intend to lone the machine out to local tree companys who dont have there own machine when I am working my normal job for around £60 - £80 per day..

Do you think this is a realistic possible venture with potential to provide a half decent second income or am I 10 yrs to late?.......

Edited by adamc1678
Grammer.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Guys,

Been reading this forum for a few weeks now and I have to say I've learnt a lot just by reading all the various threads and post's some of my questions have already been answered from reading historical threads.. similiar to the question that I'm about to ask really but given that the economy and times have moved on I feel that I have to ask it again as previous posts are out dated...

I currently work in a none arb related industry... working a 10 week shift pattern which often means I get two - three days off each week. Im fortunate in that I dont need to provide a salary from this additional work, it really would be pocket money something to spring board to something bigger..

I am considering purchasing a stump grinder, operating in the midlands area within an 80 mile radius and hopefully working with local tree surgeons on an adhoc basis. I except that things take a while to ramp up but I would book the work in for my rest days as it were. The benefit being, I dont work in the sector so wouldn't be poaching work!! although I would have a fully e-commerced site offering the various tree services which I would then forward leads on to the providers of the majority of my stumping work.. I would only require a day per week to make this a viable venture... enough to cover the ex's and pay myself a nice pt wage.

I intend to purchase a pedestrian rayco or carlton machine from new, PLI insurance, NPTC stump grinding course and a trailer to move the machine about..together with a local and yellow pages advertising budget..

I intend to lone the machine out to local tree companys who dont have there own machine when I am working my normal job for around £60 - £80 per day..

Do you think this is a realistic possible venture with potential to provide a half decent second income or am I 10 yrs to late?.......

Adam, first and foremost, you will not beat the local hire companies with hiring out your machine, plus... who pays for the wear and tear, sharpening , misuse of your hired machine?

I use a guy near me for all my stump grinding work.

I pay him nothing, he turns up, quotes for the job and 99% of the time gets the work. That's because I know what he charges.

When he has done ten jobs in his little book I get a freeby stump grind.

This is what you need to do.

Speak to all the tree surgeons in your area and talk to them what you can realistically offer. You may have to pay some a commission for referring you. Also let them know what you expect then they can fit these costs into their quote.

When you are starting out in an area, it's a good idea to get people working with you not against you.

sounds like a good idea - i know a guy in my area has started a venture- jamesw.

perhaps you could contact him?

bear in mind tho (if you havent already) - if it does take off. its hard enough fitting work, quotes and a social/ family life in, and stump grinding isnt always a restfull affair for your rest days.

access is sometimes a problem - have you got somebody to help if you need it?

not trying to be negative just a few thoughts to get the thread going for you.

Thanks both of you for taking the time to respond.. both raising valid points that I will take on board! negative and positive feedback is greatly received..

I hear what you are saying in relation to the hire companys re pricing.. I hope that I can offer a little more in the way of a service to woodbe (see what Ive done there) customers.. ie 1.5 day hires, preferential rates to frequent users, adhoc project work and quote referrals, flexible pick up and drop off times.. id be responsible for the maintenance and up keep.. but would take a deposit to ensure misuse and ensure third party has valid plant insurance...

in terms of hired help for awkward jobs and access problems.. thats were my brother comes into the equation or a friend.. im not exactly a small bloke but appreciate that I can't quite benchpress a 300 - 700 kilo stump grinder and may have issues with steep banks, steps and tight turns etc...

I haven't thought exactly how I would reward tree surgeons for there work/referals but would ensure from the off set that a clear gentlemans agreement is in place to keep all concerned happy... in short, I dont work to cheap and they get a fair cut / % of the job rate etc.....

out of interest is there anyone locally, bimingham, cov, warks, leic that may have the need for a stump grinder/tree surgeon partnership?