Went out to spot fungi today...

Kveldssanger

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's four days difference between L. sulphureus. I posted the first pics on 15/08/15, taken in the early afternoon. Four days later, here is the difference:

Big picture (no loss in resolution): http://i.imgur.com/MgyV3is.jpg

And one for the forum (huge loss in resolution):

l1tABaC.jpg

This is on a moderately-sized, though probably nearing (or within) early maturity, Q. robur.

What I do on my days off really is rather sad, eh!

Can anyone ID the two species below, please.

First one is taken, in two places (first one a moderately-sized log and the second on an old coppice stump), from dead sweet chestnut wood. Could it be L. sulphureus? Unsure as most brackets I have seen have been far larger and more numerous / tufty.

Second one is taken on a mature oak. I'm thinking either early G. resinaceum or I. dryadeus (leaning more towards the former), though I am unsure.

Ta.

not sad at all, in fact i found the journey rather rewarding and challenging :thumbup1:

And if you look a little youll find your in rather good company:biggrin:

Oh no question. Treat it merely as an ice-breaker. ;)

I do find myself talking to the trees at times. Often remark on the beauty of some, and the poor health of others. It's such a great profession to be in, and I haven't had anyone ever suggest my job is "boring". Usually, people seem envious and, if I'm honest, most probably didn't think such a job existed!

Quite a good day today for fungi.

R. ulmarius within a hollow of a P. x candensis ssp.:

Some sort of agaric (Mycena sp. or Coprinus sp. (disseminatus)?) on Populus sp.:

Growth on the rib of a wound on P. tremula:

Some rather nice G. resinaceum on Q. robur:

Edited by Kveldssanger

Suspected G. applanatum on Aesculus x carnea (thank you to a fellow TO from a nearby borough for letting me know about this one):

Meripilus giganteus (I do believe) on stump 'shadows' of (most probably) Fagus sylvatica (it's either that or Platanus x hispanica as both species line this particular street, and I have never heard of this fungus using plane as a host):