Multiple TPO applications for same tree?

benedmonds

[quote The most annoying problem I have come across and this goes for most Council Tree Officers . They never answer the bloody phone or have a retarded message that says they are out of the office at the moment so leave a message or a call back . ****** They are always out of the pigging office . Many never even return your call

I really do believe that a Tree Officer should first of all spend time on the tools and then progress

So maybe they are out of the office giving pre-application advice?

Or dealing with all the multiple applications with options that you keep submitting?

And does experience on the tools help with answering the phone?

Undoubtedly a system that accumulates TPOs and extends conservation areas inevitably increases the workload for a declining number of tree officers. Something has to give as it is frustrating for all.

This is not a TO bashing thread IMO. It just appears that several of us are experiencing similar problems across the country, due to the lack of time afforded to the TO's for their workload. Unfortunately, it has a very similar knock on effect for us who have to work within the system both from the TO and contractor/consultant perspective.

Perhaps the remainder of this thread (or indeed a new one) could be used as an informal 'review' of best/ideal working practices in these circumstances, so we could all go back to our respective TO's and say, "would you mind if I....?".

It may help and put you in a good light with your TO, or, it may not help at all!

Hear hear........just picked up on this as been away on A/L for a week !?!?!?

No I don't see it as a TO bashing just the frustration of contractors needing a response to get on with their job.......we all know of the LA cuts, trees not being seen as important as they don't bring in ££££ blah blah blah. I do agree with TOs having come up through the tools it helps no end with seeing the bigger picture .......the reality of having book jobs in, get the jobs done to get paid by the client and not messing the client about as you are seen as disorganised, rather than waiting for the end of the month......

Mmmm not sure on any one answer but communication by TOs being on the end of the phone - preferably a mobile without voicemail is a start. I am sure we all know of TOs who think they are 'tree gods' and untouchable with others like ducks....................the council I am now with charges for my time under Pre App which makes a bit of a joke as there is no charge for the S211/TPO Apps which once validated and registered activates a site visit anyway........Happy Dayz

[quote The most annoying problem I have come across and this goes for most Council Tree Officers . They never answer the bloody phone or have a retarded message that says they are out of the office at the moment so leave a message or a call back . ****** They are always out of the pigging office . Many never even return your call

I really do believe that a Tree Officer should first of all spend time on the tools and then progress

So maybe they are out of the office giving pre-application advice?

Or dealing with all the multiple applications with options that you keep submitting?

And does experience on the tools help with answering the phone?

Undoubtedly a system that accumulates TPOs and extends conservation areas inevitably increases the workload for a declining number of tree officers. Something has to give as it is frustrating for all.

I couldn't agree more.

I no longer submit applications that are likely to be refused. I'll simply inform the client what is likely, in my experience, to receive consent (sometimes I feel that I'm employed by the LPA) and not waste time - mine or the TOs on applications that are likely to meet refusal.

On the other hand, if I get a refusal, based on a difference of professional opinion, I will go to appeal.

Nowadays I think we have to simply accept most Arb and planning offices are understaffed. Most officers do do their best but it's an uphill struggle. As part of a research project I'm attempting to contact every LPA in England and Wales, to date, almost without exception I've received positive responses to questions that aren't part of their job descriptions and are taking up their valuable time.

To the opening poster, may I suggest that you talk to the planning/arb officer to attempt to seek a remedy. I don't believe that legislation allows a application to be broken down into it's constituent parts, but many authorities do. Either refusing part of the app or giving consent for lesser works. If you're happy to accept that, say so. It might relieve the pressure on the officers.

I no longer submit applications that are likely to be refused. I'll simply inform the client what is likely, in my experience, to receive consent (sometimes I feel that I'm employed by the LPA) and not waste time - mine or the TOs on applications that are likely to meet refusal.

That's the money shot Gary!

It's a waste of everybody's time and effort if the app isn't as close as practically possible to that which is likely to be approved. Can't always be spot on, but got to be best to try. :thumbup1: