What do you think is causing this?

Giles Hill

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that buttress will of been holding a lot of weight over the years, its pretty far gone, even the epicormic is on its way out. why is the grass worn?has a mchine come through there maybe and given it a scuff, the soil looks pretty high there as if some kind of work has been carried out. the road must have lights on it, or can you see if a channel has been cut through the tarmac. thats a pretty fresh sign in the background, has the area just been re vamped at all?

I like the way you're thinking SWB. Unfortunately I don't know the history, but this tree is part of an avenue of trees that have the same relationship to the path, but this is the only one that's in this state. I don't think any channels have been excavated recently - it's a path, not a road.

I guess it could have been started off by mechanical damage of some kind at some point in the past, I hadn't noticed the state of the grass and don't know if that's significant.

Thinking about it, it is next to a watercourse , which crosses the path - i.e. none of the other trees in the line are next to the watercourse, so that might have something to do with it.

There's nothing banked up against it. I can see it looks like there is in the picture, but the ground is flat between the path and the trees and there's a there's a lowered grass channel on the otherside of the trees, running parallel to the path - the ground then rises up the hill.

Your point about the ditching bucket sounds feasible though - I guess the tree could have taken a knock if the channel was cleared at some point.

The only thing that's bothering me now is there must be some other factor that's affected the vigour of the tree - there dosen't appear to be any callus growth and as I mentioned earlier the canopy is very sparse.

Judging by the above and the lean there seems to be a major problem with the roots. I guess it could be down to root death caused by waterlogging, with water backing up the channel from the adjacent stream.

I don't think a load of roots have been severed by excavation, because none of the other trees in the line are in this state.

All guess work of course.:001_smile: