trimble juno

tree79

I've been offered arcgis 9 and arcpad for £350.

What software do you on android? And is you tablet water proof

Many thanks

Tree

Blimey prices have come down a lot then, sounds a great deal. I use OTISS and a sony xperia tablet, sold as waterproof but I use it in a case anyway. I wouldn't get carried away with gps performance figures, if you use aerials as base mapping you can correct easily. Remember the bulk of Trimble and others products are developed for the survey market, which has far higher requirements than we need to produce an accurate tree survey plan.

What model Geo are you using Jules? What is your set up and are you happy with the accuracy?

Geo XT, it rarely pretends to be better than 1m accurate, but when it's got a fix it's got a fix. U have used the XM too (used to have one) and it was baoutteh same. More recently I was using a Juno and it was saying it was submetre but it was way way off. I don't trust it. Used a BAP all winter, same sort of false accuracy. They both seemed quick to figure out rough position, but no quicker than the Geo in pinning it down. The big difference was the BAP or Juno let you reecord your bullshit position at any time but the Geo makes me wait for a fix.

I am generally using PGIS, I have written my own ideal translation schemes and don't need anything else.

Blimey prices have come down a lot then, sounds a great deal. I use OTISS and a sony xperia tablet, sold as waterproof but I use it in a case anyway. I wouldn't get carried away with gps performance figures, if you use aerials as base mapping you can correct easily. Remember the bulk of Trimble and others products are developed for the survey market, which has far higher requirements than we need to produce an accurate tree survey plan.

I'd definitely echo that.

I use the OTISS set up too, and love it. I run it on both my phone (Galaxy Note 4) in an otterbox defender case for general quick "in-out" data capture, and on a Galaxy Tab Pro 8.2" tablet, again with otterbox defender plus the utility strap set-up, for more lengthy surveys.

GPS on the Tab can be sketchy at times, but I always keep the phone open as a wifi hotspot for the Tab, so then get GPS plus 4G - which then does help with accuracy.

Best thing since sliced bread in my opinion, and achieves the same results as big high cost/high end set ups, but with only a fraction of the outlay.....

which is always nice :thumbup1:

Edited by Andy Clark
typo