Need some help as have to make a decision tomorrow morning.

Paper Rustler

I would like some help please ASAP.

I am looking to purchase a firewood processor have one in mind have finance sorted etc. Was going to purchase one with a circular saw blade and TCT's.

Rep has just told me they have a special on the same model but with a chainsaw.

1) Size of log you can process is smaller with Blade but Blade is easier to keep sharp ? Is that right, Also will blade "snag" and possibly wear out drive belts?

2) Is sharpening the blade on a chainsaw easier if I buy a bench grinder(yes I have read the other thread) Its just I think the blade will tend to pull to one side if the chain is not sharpened properly. Will the chain snag?

Any advice/experience would be appreciated

id go with chain...ive used both, own a chainsaw one. dont make the mistake of thinking its like a regular chainsaw...you're gonna have a tractor powering this one...they dont snag!!!!

plus sides....safer IMO, lots quieter, easy to sharpen as you can do it yourself where as most people i know seem to get their circular saws sharpened professionally.

negatives.....only major one i can think of is more waste, but that wouldnt deter me.

Steve

thanks for your advice, did you find a difference about the size of material you could cut between the 2, also how does the blade handle "bent" timber?

my current bench is 15", the only blade ive used has been 12"

bends can cause problems with a circular saw, you have to make sure you cut in the right place or you could find the wood being violently snagged away from you. same can be said for the chainsaw ones though i guess

Looking at all of the popular manufacturers, Not biased at the moment taking account of all of the Backup which will be important to me, availability of spare parts? Which parts need replacing chains, Bars rollers, belts please let me know.

Will be using 90% machine harvested timber rest will be Tree Surguery biproduct.

Will try to keep you upto speed as much as possible.

Any thoughts comments would be greatly appreciated.

What a fantastic website VEY VERY INFORMATIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!

chains are £12 ish

bars £20

same as saws,sharpen every other day,depends on how clean the wood is.

more saw dust, a gallon of oil per day,but over 15 ton it aint bad.

chain a lot safer than blade imo.

what price a new blade to chain and bar,if you hit a lump of granite or steel.?

power infeed is a must