Toyota D4d - common fault and how to fix.

TimberCutterDartmoor

Good thread TCD. I'm also interested in this Red Line oil you talk of all the time. What spec would you suggest for 6cyl turbo Perkins, 1990 vintage?

On slightly different track... I got injectors in Lokomo reconditioned but I'd say it's smokier than before. Always wondered if I'd got them seated right or made some other cock up causing the smoke.

Warning! It aint cheap! I wanted to put the requisite 19.5 litres in the harvester engine but can you imagine the price!!! Would work out at about £300!!! Completely out of the question at that price regardless of how good it is! I went for JD PLUS 50 II which is £60 ish for 20 litres...

Anyway if you really want to go down the RL route it would be this:

Red Line Synthetic Oil - Motor Oil - 15W40 Diesel Motor Oil

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok thanks TCD, that's a big difference in price. I assume shipping will be part of it as RL coming in from the states but is there any other reason why RL so expensive?

Sorry for derailing your thread

Not worried about the derail - it isn't really; lube is a matter in the original matter.

It's so expensive because it is made only from Poly-ol-ester basestock and this is the most expensive to produce of any oil basestock.

Basestocks are grouped upto group 5 the highest performance attainable.

1 & 2 mineral and lightly cracked.

3 is hydrocracked but called full synth

4 is PAO - a considerable upgrade from grp 3.

5 includes all others inc esters. RL uses POE the highest and most expensive of the esters.

That price was ball-park from Opie Oils; Old Hall Performance are the UK importer. Postage would be foc at that order price!!! AMSoil is PAO but not much cheaper than RL so you fall back to 2 & 3 group oils at realistic prices.

Motul is another good ester product but for 15W40 heavy duty nowt touches RL. Have a read of this!

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCIQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.turbodieselregister.com%2FTDR57_Oil.pdf&ei=J4QxVePyL5LvaPahgKgE&usg=AFQjCNEuG1MFG_v65JpycOIde5-m4hJcsw&bvm=bv.91071109,d.d2s

Ok thanks for extensive explanation. My machines don't do a lot of hours so I may look at using redline next time I plan to do service, I'd be interested in seeing what price can get it in direct from the states... Or Continental Europe. I know UK operating costs are ridiculously high but I've started sourcing parts from Europe as much cheaper in most cases