loller and timber crane

agrimog

Confusing to some extent. The new acop document seems to make it clear but this forestry guidance seems to muddy the waters somewhat.

However: Taking the paragraph: "Thorough examination of lifting equipment is to protect both operators and people in the vicinity of lifting operations who may be at risk if the equipment suddenly failed. Assess equipment and working practices for the risks involved and decide which items have to undergo thorough examination." This may be interpreted along with the following talk about roll protection etc to suggest that providing there's no/ little consequence to the lifting equipment failing or tipping that a thorough examination would not be necessary. I would however suggest that in practice this is seldom always the case in relation to a timber grab, even if most of the time it is operating in an environment with huge exclusion zones, never within the vicinity of a highway ro other persons/ property etc this will not ALWAYS be the case. Either other persons, vehicles or property could be seriously damaged in the event of failure and even with roll protection, the design of many cabs, seats and seatbelts etc means the operator could still come to some serious harm.

also kevin is right in suggesting that inspections under puwer aren't so dissimilar and may also, in reality need to be done by an external contractor anyway

In the case of an avant i'd suggest going back to the consequence of a failure coupled with it's primary function, an avant can run a great number of attachments which primary function is not lifting, but if your primary use is that of lifting perhaps it would be wise. Roll bar or not i'll always remember being catapulted from an avant when working for a firm in Hampshire back when i was a fresh faced 17yo, somehow i landed on my feet some 2.5m away from the machine, the laws of momentum on heavy machines shouldn't be underestimated, one to many fatalities on mewps from this issue.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Confusing to some extent. The new acop document seems to make it clear but this forestry guidance seems to muddy the waters somewhat.

However: Taking the paragraph: "Thorough examination of lifting equipment is to protect both operators and people in the vicinity of lifting operations who may be at risk if the equipment suddenly failed. Assess equipment and working practices for the risks involved and decide which items have to undergo thorough examination." This may be interpreted along with the following talk about roll protection etc to suggest that providing there's no/ little consequence to the lifting equipment failing or tipping that a thorough examination would not be necessary. I would however suggest that in practice this is seldom always the case in relation to a timber grab, even if most of the time it is operating in an environment with huge exclusion zones, never within the vicinity of a highway ro other persons/ property etc this will not ALWAYS be the case. Either other persons, vehicles or property could be seriously damaged in the event of failure and even with roll protection, the design of many cabs, seats and seatbelts etc means the operator could still come to some serious harm.

also kevin is right in suggesting that inspections under puwer aren't so dissimilar and may also, in reality need to be done by an external contractor anyway

In the case of an avant i'd suggest going back to the consequence of a failure coupled with it's primary function, an avant can run a great number of attachments which primary function is not lifting, but if your primary use is that of lifting perhaps it would be wise. Roll bar or not i'll always remember being catapulted from an avant when working for a firm in Hampshire back when i was a fresh faced 17yo, somehow i landed on my feet some 2.5m away from the machine, the laws of momentum on heavy machines shouldn't be underestimated, one to many fatalities on mewps from this issue.

Thanks for that! Especially the piece about Avant - I just did a new thread to try and get some views before purchase. I think if you are determined to look hard enough for an exemption you might just find one but I'm not so sure it'll be so helpful if the old preverbal hits the aircon!