husky for carving?

brisbane trees

Like a lot of arborists, I've moved from Stihl to Husky for my main climbing saw, a t540xp. Are there sculpturing bars available for them?

I've got some old ms192t's, and I know I can get the right bars for them at a local arborcultural supplies shop, but I'm guessing the extra power of the Husky would be helpful. Besides, the husky is now my favourite companion, not the old Stihl.

Like a lot of arborists, I've moved from Stihl to Husky for my main climbing saw, a t540xp. Are there sculpturing bars available for them?

I've got some old ms192t's, and I know I can get the right bars for them at a local arborcultural supplies shop, but I'm guessing the extra power of the Husky would be helpful. Besides, the husky is now my favourite companion, not the old Stihl.

The 540 is the same mount as all sub 70cc huskies, so finding a carving bar shouldn't be too difficult. Although I would say you'd be better off with a rear handle for detail work, is the 439 available over in oz?

The 540 is the same mount as all sub 70cc huskies, so finding a carving bar shouldn't be too difficult. Although I would say you'd be better off with a rear handle for detail work, is the 439 available over in oz?

No, and I couldn't even find the specs online. I really have only big saws (365/046) other than the small ones, though I wouldn't mind getting a mid-range for sculpting, if that's what the go is.

I'm open to suggestions. My local arb shop was only promoting the Sthil 192 and a little 150 for sculpting. They might not actually know anything about it.

No, and I couldn't even find the specs online. I really have only big saws (365/046) other than the small ones, though I wouldn't mind getting a mid-range for sculpting, if that's what the go is.

I'm open to suggestions. My local arb shop was only promoting the Sthil 192 and a little 150 for sculpting. They might not actually know anything about it.

The ms150 is a lovely little saw, the bar is tiny as it is too. In fact, I would say it's the best topper type that Stihl currently make, especially as the 192 will be obsolete soon.

If you're going to get a mid-range saw, you'll have to go with the 550, as you get the large mount 60cc saws over there. Otherwise you'll have to use a home/land owner grade saw.

• 2 weeks later...

Detailing setup wise, you dont get much better than a 192 with the smallest dime bar. The power output is great, the vibration damping is second to none and the small weight difference between the 192 and say the 170 makes a HUGE difference.

The 150 vibrates horribly... Just like the echo 270wes... and those few cc's lost make the saws feel utterly gutless. Relativity is a fine thing. I've tried all those saws.

The things those saws have going for them is build quality and weight.

Detailing setup wise, you dont get much better than a 192 with the smallest dime bar. The power output is great, the vibration damping is second to none and the small weight difference between the 192 and say the 170 makes a HUGE difference.

Apart from you cant get a 192 now, they're obsolete, but the 193 has replaced it.

Yeah thats right, plenty still pop up second hand. I was hoping I'd find an equivalent echo or husky saw (power output to weight ratio) but have had no joy. Hopefully the build quality on the 193 will be better.

It's exactly the same as the 192, same series number. But it's has a wider starter.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the replies. I have four 192 chainsaws in the shed in various states of repair, so it sounds like I had better get one running. I agree about the build quality, that's why they've been retired.

I've tried all those saws.

The things those saws have going for them is build quality and weight.

Which saws? You can't mean the 192, can you? As an arborist I find them far inferior to those one size up: The 200-201 Stihls and the Husky 338/540. I haven't tried the Stihl 150 though.

What do you think about using the Husqvarna 540 for carving, please? You're a chainsaw carver, so I didn't want to lose the chance to ask. :001_smile:

Bear in mind my knowledge is limited to tree removals and pruning in Brisbane, Australia (some tough wood, here) so I don't have your perspective on saws, yet.